Starting Liquid Diet today! YAY!

CandaceHasCurves
on 4/9/10 10:13 pm - Alexandria, VA
My surgery was moved up a day--so I'm really excited to have surgery a day earlier than expected! I'm starting the pre-op liquid diet today (3 days prior to surgery is all that my dr. requires).

Any words of advice as I approach the final hour before surgery? :)

THANKS!

LillieGracesMom
on 4/10/10 12:19 am
My only recommendation to you would be to walk every day...and I mean EVERY day.  As soon as you're home from the hospital walk outside to get the mail.  Whatever little bit you can do, do it.  It really makes all the difference, especially if you are one of the unlucky ones who has a lot of gas following surgery.  Also, sip, sip, sip all day long.  I was able to get all 64 oz. of water in as soon as 2 days after surgery because I literally sipped all day long.  You can do this.
Best of luck and looking forward to hearing how the surgery goes.  Keep us posted.
-Heather

CandaceHasCurves
on 4/10/10 12:23 am - Alexandria, VA
Good ideas! Thanks, Heather! How much are you down now?

What were you drinking right after surgery? I've heard some people have trouble tolerating the isopure/protein for a couple days...did you experience this at all?

Hey, here's an off-topic question...the ticker at the bottom of your post...how do you get to enter the "current" weight? Mine will only take "starting" and "goal"....no place for current! grr! Am I missing something somewhere?

Candace

rich_in_nfpa
on 4/10/10 9:05 am - New Freedom, PA
Candace,

If you click "Home" at the top of the page and then click "Health Tracker" under the "Connect & Share" heading you will be able to enter your current weight. It should show up automatically on your ticker then.
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
CandaceHasCurves
on 4/10/10 10:36 am - Alexandria, VA
did you do clear liquids or full liquids before surgery?
CandaceHasCurves
on 4/10/10 10:39 am - Alexandria, VA
OK, so I'm one day in to this liquid diet and I am GOING NUTS! I'm totally ravenous and STARVING. I've had 3 instant breakfasts with lactaid, a berry smoothie, some broth and water...

...I tried mixing the whey protein in to the broth--did NOT go well. It curdled but I can't figure out why because it wasn't THAT hot. Any advice for how to get the whey protein to dissolve????

I'm terrified that this is how I will feel after surgery...and I don't think I can take feeling like this much longer. I've tried distracting myself, I even took a nap...but I just feel so tired and hungry. Is it normal to feel this way?

Thanks

ckb70
on 4/10/10 9:12 pm - Morrisville, PA
Buy the EAS low carb shakes...put them in the freezer until they are slushy they are pretty good.  I had to be on a liquid diet for 2 weeks but my doctor let me have protein bars and salad to mix my day up.  3 days will come and go so quickly...you are thinking too much.  Enjoy the thought of your new life!  Good luck...you will do great.

No longer a slave to hunger!                        
LillieGracesMom
on 4/11/10 12:06 am
Okay, I was on full liquids after my surgery which icluded jello, pudding and yogurt.  I never tried the isopure, I bought Chike (which is a meal replacement and therefore good that first week after surgery), and Unjury which is simply a protein supplement.  I love the chocolate Unjury and sometimes add 1 Tbs of reduced fat peanut butter or 1/2 banana and blend it up.  So yummy.  Also, I always use milk with my protein shakes because they just taste awful with water. 
I sympathize with your hunger.  Everyone told me that you won't even really feel hunger the first week post-op, but I was always ravenous.  It was terribly hard the first week after to the point where I had to go up to my bedroom to get away from the food that the rest of my family was eating at meal times.  Once I was able to start pureeds, life was much better.  I love chicken salad and fat free refried beans.
Don't worry, feeling immense regret following surgery is normal.  Two days after surgery I told my husband that I was so sorry I had the surgery and that I was calling Dr. Anez and having him reverse the surgery ASAP.  After a good nights sleep though, I felt better and now I am so glad that I had it.  As of last Tuesday I have lost 37 pounds.  I won't weigh again until my appt. with him on May 3rd.
Good luck, and email me if you have any questions or just need to vent.
-Heather

SunnyJenny05486
on 4/12/10 12:19 am - Woodbridge, VA
REALIZE Band on 03/10/10 with
Candace

Good luck to you!!  I've done great with my band and have had no real probelems! I did have to do a 2 week liquid diet before surgery and I survived!

Good luck to you!  It only gets better! 

Jen
Tom C.
on 4/12/10 7:30 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
CandaceHadCurves,

My advice - relax and be prepared to be on a rollercoaster. There will tons of highs, and som lows - but remember as long as you follow the rules you will be successful.

Be sure to come back ofter and know were here for you
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active