Did anyone have water retention issues post-surgery?

NJLisa
on 4/8/10 5:14 am
I'm just about 2 weeks post-surgery.  On Monday I was finally able to get my entire 64 oz of water in. However, I noticed that I'm not really urinating much at all.  But I'm also not swollen as if I'm retaining it. I called the doc and they told me to drink more because I'm probably dehydrated so that is what I'm doing but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Did this happen to anyone?  I know I probably was dehydrated last week because I realy couldn't drink more than 32 oz. or so.  But normally drinking this much would have me in the restroom every half hour.  Now maybe 4 or 5 times per day and that's it.  Anyone else experience this?
Hill_Star
on 4/8/10 2:01 pm
I did the same thing...I was told by my doctor and by alot of my friends from here that it was because i was dehydrated and because I was it was holding the water in. Once you start getting the water in and your body builds up its fluid you'll be running to that bathroom. I wouldn't worry to much about it right now, but if no change in about a week I would call my doctor. Like a person once told me on here...If its bothering you...Pick up the phone and call your doctor and asks them. Don't know about you but It makes me feel better when coming from a doctor. You'll be ok..before long you'll be able to get your water in and make sure you get your protein in too. Best of luck@!
Tom C.
on 4/8/10 7:25 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
NJLisa,

As mentioned, don't worry too much unless it happens for another week. And believe it or not, but enjoy it now ;D. Before I could drink a gallon of water, and nothing. Now, I need to go to the bathroom almost every 45 minutes.

Now if you want to make ensure you're drinking enough, he is a little poem I created. "If it's looks white, you are doing right. If it looks dark to yellow, drink some more water my good fellow".
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
NJLisa
on 4/9/10 2:57 am
Thank you both...it seems to be getting better. I had already called the doc before i posted and they told me to keep drinking.  I was also concerned because once I started drinking the water I started gaining some weight back which was very upsetting.  But i think i've stabilized now.

And Tom, that was quite poetic...you should publish that. ;)
Most Active