Day 5 Post-Op Panic Attack

msdama
on 4/6/10 10:24 am
Hi All.

Day five, and well, freak-out here I come.

I researched for HOURS each day for the last 4 weeks, but somehow today, 5 days post op, and I come across a lengthy thread, a poster said shes about to get the band and asks for cons to the procedure. I knew I'd be reading some scary stuff, but I guess it scared me more than I expected.

I cruised only band message boards before surgery; this was on OH but in a general message board. The loudest barks seemed to come from ppl that had bands, then after a few years had complications, then had revision to DS. I researched the DS, RNY, and VSG and all kinda freaked me out. "Dissection" worried me, high complication factor, tons of vitamin pills, etc. Freaked me out.

So now that Ive got my band, Im freaked out again. I understood the complications - slips, erosion. I read a book abt gastric banding and it said odds were 1-3% for erosion and slips (cant remember exact numbers). That seemed like a very reasonable risk to me.

Further, the band-DS ppl all seemed to swear that after a few years, the band would have to come out. Then you switch to DS or VSG. I have to admit, I kinda had accepted revision to VSG  as an eventual reality before even undertaking the surgery, but now im worried abt permanent damage?

Are there any bandsters out there that are 3+years post op, that havent had to have a second surgery (for whatever - revision, port replacement, slip, removal, etc) ?

My doc says he does revision RNY to Band surgeries reguarly, at least a couple a month... so what the hell? Which is it? Is more than one surgery, no matter what path you take, inevitable???

Panicked.
Dama

Tom C.
on 4/7/10 2:44 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Msdama,

All I can say is relax. Yes some people have a band, then switch to another operation. There are folks who had other operations, then switched to a band OR had a band added to their procedure. 

Does any one procedure work 100% of the time. NO!! Does any procedure comes with risks? YES!! Does any procedure come with guarantees? NO!!

IMHO the reason the band is right for you is because, YOU RESEARCHED it, and YOU know YOU, and YOU CHOSE this operation !! Now does that mean it may fail, No. But as long as you follow the rules, and WORK with the tool you'll be successful.

Know we're here for you !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Kelslaw
on 4/7/10 3:27 pm
It is normal to be nervous. There are always the "what ifs". But you did it, you know why you got it, now be happy with it while it is working well for you

That is my philosophy.

Also go check out the lapband board. There was a post yesterday from a 5 yr lap bander and today and 6 yr lap bander. Both are going strong, at goal weight and happy with their bands still.

You will hear a lot of negatives on here but there are many more positives that you may never hear about. Keep faith that you are doing the right thing for YOU!

Begin Pre-Op diet at 292--End Pre-Op diet at 277
Post-Op weight 277
Goal weight 175
Goal 2 weight 150        
Lisa Y.
on 4/13/10 2:11 am
Hi Panicked,

I work at a public library and one of our sayings is "the worst thing you can do it consult Dr. Google for medical advise!"

If you want dependable information it is best to consult with your doctor or go to you local library and speak with a librarian. They can provide you with reliable materials such as websites adn books. I have found a number of helpful books. If they don't have what you need, they can often get the information via interlibrary loan and its free. I hope this helps.

Lisa
Most Active