Was so nervous about first fill - but it went fine!!

Tammy G.
on 3/30/10 8:02 am - Indian Trail, NC
I'm 2 months and 2 weeks post op - so waited a little longer for my first fill.   Wanted to make sure everything was healed after getting a little infection.    I was really nervous because I'm very afraid of needles.    Surgeon deadened the area and all went just fine .. WHEW ..   Didn't hurt a bit.

I've lost right at 35 pounds now and dropped 2 sizes and am finally getting into non-plus sizes.   I've not felt like I've been losing much these last few weeks so while I was nervous about the fill I was also anxious to get it done and start moving forward again.   

Surprisingly and a little scary the surgeon put in 6cc.   I've had no restriction so looking forward to using the tool now but also a little worried about going from nothing to 6cc.   Going to be VERY careful going forward.

Thanks everyone for the motivation and hope those who have not had a fill yet rest a little easier.

Tom C.
on 3/30/10 8:56 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Tammy,

GREAT eFn NEWS about your progress !! Keep on going the way you are !! And thanks for posting your fill experience. I know it will help others.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Kelslaw
on 3/31/10 7:07 am
YAY for a fill. I am shocked the doc put that much in. I would have been scared too. I am on my second fill already and only have 4cc in. But docs know what they are doing so he/she must think that you can handle that much. I hope it really helps you.

My fill(s) have been horrible and I can tolerate a lot of pain. My issue is that my doc can never find my port. Both times, after 5 min or so of moving around to find it she brought out the u/s machine to locate it. Then it took her another 2 minutes or so to find it. The problem with the lidocain for me is that it only deadens the skin, not the muscle and when she went searching for the port she hit all those VERY alert muscles. UGH. Sooo glad your experience was better. I think for the most part they aren't that big of a deal.

Begin Pre-Op diet at 292--End Pre-Op diet at 277
Post-Op weight 277
Goal weight 175
Goal 2 weight 150        
skullgirdle
on 4/6/10 5:06 am - Denton, TX
I just had my first fill last Thursday.  It was a bit early (4 weeks) but I had no restriction at all and was healing well.    I was also a little worried because I wasn't sure what to expect and none of the people I know with a gastric band have the Realize.

I will say that it was a little pinchy while I received my fill but tolerable.  Honestly I was getting such a kick out of watching the X-Ray of my esophagus and stomach and I swallowed the ever foul barium drink that I hardly noticed anything else.  I got to lie on the big table and then ride it to a standing position which I LOVE.  I admit I am a freak.  Sue, my nurse practitioner and a fantastic woman, informed me that my fill was 7cc.  I guess from what I see here it was a rather large fill. 

I felt nauseated from about an hour after my fill through the next day.  Luckily my doctor put me on clear liquids for 24 hours after the fill so I didn't eat and cause more pain.  After that I have been feeling fine though I can still eat 6 - 8 oz of food at a time.  Even so I have yet to go over 1100 calories total because I have cut out 90% of the sweets, deep fried, and high fat foods I so loved.  I even gave up coffee for a while which seems to be working out better than expected.

I think everyone  is different when it comes to the gastric band.  We all react differently to each step. 

I hope it goes well for you!
flnurse558
on 4/28/10 12:10 pm - Clearwater, FL
I had my first fill yesterday after having the band placed on 3/24/2010. I was getting very hungry between meals, so i hope this helps. My Dr has me lie down do a straight leg lift, and located the port that way. he placed iodine  there to mark the area, then had me lift again while he started to inject. He routinely fills everyone with 5 cc's. I am on full liquids now till tomorrow when i have to do pureed for 2 days. Then return to solids. I guess I will know then if it helps? 
The procedure itself was no big deal to me, but my Dr scheduled my next fill in 2 months unless I need it sooner. Is  this a normal way to do things? Seems so far off.

Most Active