new and have a question

beck720
on 3/25/10 4:36 am - Granby, MA
Hi, I am new to this forum.  So far it has been very helpful with the information I have read.  I am going to the informational seminar on April 8.  I've been looking into bariatric surgery for three years now and finally decided enough is enough, I can't keep losing then gaining more back.  My BMI is 38.1, I am 33 and was diagnosed with POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) at age 32.  Having that I just can't lose the weight, even on a diet.  My question is do you think POF fits the requirement for the insurance (Cigna) to cover?  Does it fit under the clinically significant comorbidity?  I also have Acid reflux.  I'm just scared they are going to turn me down.

Thank you for any answers you are able to give me.  :)
ckb70
on 3/25/10 5:45 am - Morrisville, PA
I don't think that would fall under the guidelines as being cause by being over weight...you can call your insurance company and ask.  Not to say do this but my friend was just under the 40 BMI requirements and decided to gain the extra weight so she could qualify.  She's done really well now after the surgery and has no regrets! 
beck720
on 3/25/10 10:02 am - Granby, MA
Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I thought about gaining to bring my BMI up to 40, the thought of having to gain to lose (weight) in the end has crossed my mind more than once.  I'm just disgusted with my weight now,  ick!
If my BMI is 40 in the beginning when the Endocrinologist weighs me then I lose weight during the 6 month period will I have to make the insurance requirements?

Can't wait the get this process started so I can start living my life again!  :)
ckb70
on 3/26/10 5:32 am - Morrisville, PA
I asked this exact question and my doctors office said they submit your  original BMI to the issuance company not the BMI after any weight loss...so if you got up to 40 and then loss the 40 would stay.

No longer a slave to hunger!                        
Twinels2
on 3/25/10 11:16 am - Morgantown , PA
The WLS center where I go has a patient advocate that knows all about the insurance companies and will be able to answer most of your questions. You may want to call your insurance company and ask for their list of requirements. I did and didn't have any luck but, others on here have so it can't hurt to ask. Good luck.
Shrinking Sharon

conchita109
on 3/25/10 12:38 pm - Greencastle, PA
Well, I have to say...I was in a similar boat and was so tired of gaining and losing. I went to the seminar and then the doctor appt. and he said that because I didn't have a comorbidity (at the time) with a 38 BMI, that I might not qualify. Well, I fixed that! Yup, I gained about 25 pounds over the 6-7 months. I really didn't do it intentionally (I don't think) BUT...I was convinced that I NEEDED this surgery. I felt awful most of the time and nothing fit!! I even developed high blood pressure!

It was a very long journey to get to my surgery date but finally, 2.3 weeks ago, I had surgery and so far, I have no regrets! I look forward to a life of health!! I am following instructions as my doctor advises and I am focused and ready to lose this weight!! I am down 21 pounds and almost exactly where I was when I started this journey~~

I wish you the best, do what you have to do. It is NOT easy but in the end, if you have tried everything and NEED the help of this wonderful TOOL, you will find a "weigh" (pun intended) for it to work!!

We hope to see you on the loser's bench someday soon!

Connie
Everything happens for a reason so, I am taking it a step at a time. I can do it!      

Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 3/25/10 2:40 pm - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22

Hi Beck,
Welcome to the board.  I have Cigna also.  When I went for my first meeting with the surgeon, I weighed 224 and a BMI 35. I did gain about 6 lbs so I wouldn't be under..   I had high cholesterol, and pre hyper tension.  When they measured me to see how tall I was I squinted down so I was shorter.  I am actually 5'7"1/2  and when she measured me, she said your 5'6"1/2 I said yes and she wrote down 5'6".  Have you had a sleep study?  Dr said that if you have sleep apnea it is a shoe in. The surgeons office sent me for a sleep study and I did have sleep apnea.  Also you can always wear heavy clothing when you go into meet with the surgeon.. 
Good luck and if you have anymore questions about Cigna you can always PM me.

Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

rich_in_nfpa
on 3/26/10 1:55 am - New Freedom, PA
I had multiple co-morbidities so I just needed to keep my BMI over 35. It was weird to be in the position of maintaining my weight for months! I swore that if my BMI ever dropped below 35 right before a doctor's appointment, I would load my pockets up with fishing sinkers. Fortunately, it never came to that.

Now, 4 1/2 weeks after surgery, I've lost almost 18 pounds, my BMI is 32.2 and I'm ecstatic!
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 3/26/10 2:18 am - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
Rich,
Congratulations on your surgery and the weight loss thus far.  You are doing great.
I had to do the same thing.  LOL
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

beck720
on 3/26/10 1:40 am - Granby, MA
Thank you ladies for your responses, they have been helpful.   :)       I'm glad I joined this forum.
Most Active