Culture shock?

kgjohannes
on 3/22/10 4:35 am - Lawrence, NJ
Hello all; long time viewer, first time submitter!  Congrats though to all of you on your progress and vulnerability. It's sobering to know there's a community w/ an open door policy; and one w/ such willingness to admit and face struggles.

I have surgery in 6 weeks and I'm in research mode; trying to familarize myself with the "after-band life".  I'm hoping you seasoned banders could help answer my questions and dispell my fears!

1. Do you find social situations difficult? I'm the oldest sibling in a numerous Italian family of big eaters. My family is concerned about me attending parties and events and not eating.. tips?
2. Once the band is tightened... do you go back to the liquid diet, then progress from there? Is it a constant back and forth w/ each fill?
3. Temptations.... you're drinking your protein shake and your spouse/partner is eating a meal.. do they wait for you to finish? Do you find the meal satisfying although you're drinking?
4. Workplace... how do you function in the workplace w/ your new habits? I havne' t and probably don' t intend to announce my surgery... tips on coping at work?

Thanks again for any responses!
Erin529
on 3/22/10 7:39 am - Oldsmar, FL
Hi,

I can only answer some of your questions because I am only one month out of surgery. So I can only give you the perspective of a person just starting this journey. My family also enjoys eating at get togethers. I found that in the first two-three weeks after surgery I needed to steer clear of these events. Now that I am on solid food it has become much easier to attend these family functions.

As for your question #3, I did find myself eating alone during the protein shake period. I chose this because I did not want to be tempted. That's all over now, I am able to enjoy meals with my family and friends. I found the shakes satisfying, and I found protein pudding which became my savior during the three long weeks of liquids.

As for question #4, I am in a graduate program, so I needed to tell my professors and supervisors because my surgery was in the middle of the semester. Also the people in my program know because I was not in class for a few days. I find that it's helpful to have a large support system. I don't know the type of relationship you have with your co-workers but they can be there to support you.

I hope this helps, If you have any more questions just ask

-Erin
-Erin          
Tom C.
on 3/22/10 8:32 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

I need to start off by saying I’ve always been an open book, so when I decided I was having this operation, I told EVERYONE. I held nothing back. I understand many people like to keep it private, and I respect that. However, I would suggest telling your work supervisor and/or maybe a trusted coworker only because if (GOD FORBID) something happens at work, and you are unconscious – someone will need to explain to the emergency crews what happened.

OK .. now to answer your question’

(01) Social situations – I too come from a Italian family where food was another “member of the family". From day one I was committed to make this work – so I being at a social function was easy. I pre-planned what I was going to eat and something I even brought my stuff. If I was going to a party I would try to see what was being served then planned my meal around it. Example – at a bbq I would eat some chicken, maybe steak, and salads

(02) Band Tightening – yes you go back to liquids for the first 24 – 48 hours, then soft foods for a day and regular by the 3rd day. Your Doctor may have other instructions

(03) Temptation – I always have temptation. I am an addict, and food is my vice. For the first year I didn’t give in because if I follow the rule, and I see my success, so I don’t need to give into temptation. After a year I would occasionally try something I want. But before I always do I ask “is eating this getting me to my goal". My Doctor truly believes “FOREVER" is a long time. If after a year you know how to control yourself, then I would say “try" something. But hear me when I say “Want is better than having". No matter how good you think that thing is going to taste, you will be disappointed.

(04) Workplace – If you can, take two weeks off from work after the operation. It will take you this long to get into the “swing" of things. Once at work, you will need to remind yourself to drink, eat, etc. What I do is I set a reoccurring Outlook message to remind me of things. At 6:00 a.m. my first reminder of “drink" pops up. I “snooze" it for 10 minutes, and eat time it pops up I sip – snooze for another 10 and wait for the next “drink" reminder. This way I know I am drinking my 64 ounce before I leave work.

At 9:00 a.m. I have a reminder to drink my protein. I have a 30 minute “reminder" so this way I remember to stop drinking

At noon I have a reminder set to eat lunch. Again, I have a 30 minute “reminder" set so I know to stop drinking

At 3:00 p.m. I have a reminder to drink my protein. I have a 30 minute “reminder" so this way I remember to stop drinking

I am so now into a rhythm, I don’t need the reminders – but they are still there as a help.

I hope this was helpful.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
OneRedKansan41
on 3/22/10 10:13 am
On March 22, 2010 at 11:35 AM Pacific Time, kgjohannes wrote:
Hello all; long time viewer, first time submitter!  Congrats though to all of you on your progress and vulnerability. It's sobering to know there's a community w/ an open door policy; and one w/ such willingness to admit and face struggles.

I have surgery in 6 weeks and I'm in research mode; trying to familarize myself with the "after-band life".  I'm hoping you seasoned banders could help answer my questions and dispell my fears!

1. Do you find social situations difficult? I'm the oldest sibling in a numerous Italian family of big eaters. My family is concerned about me attending parties and events and not eating.. tips?
2. Once the band is tightened... do you go back to the liquid diet, then progress from there? Is it a constant back and forth w/ each fill?
3. Temptations.... you're drinking your protein shake and your spouse/partner is eating a meal.. do they wait for you to finish? Do you find the meal satisfying although you're drinking?
4. Workplace... how do you function in the workplace w/ your new habits? I havne' t and probably don' t intend to announce my surgery... tips on coping at work?

Thanks again for any responses!
I will have to ponder those questions: Meanwhile, welcome to the boards
Pixieland
on 3/22/10 9:46 pm - Davison, MI

Hi There!
Welcome to you and good luck on your journey.  I think you are doing the right thing with all your research.  Read everything that you can.  This website has been a Godsend for me in knowing what to expect (good and bad).  I had my surgery Oct. 16, 09, I've lost 40 pounds so far and have found band life much easier than I anticipated.

1.  I have no problem with social situations.  I still go out to restaurants, parties and get togethers.  I eat...just not as much as everyone else.  Most people don't even notice that I am not eating as much.  I do weigh my options of what to eat....do I want to spend my calories on certain things?  I do have a bite of cake here and there...but normally I am able to pass on the high calorie stuff or just have a spoonful.

2.  My Dr. advises being on liquids for the rest of the day after a fill and then mushies the next.  You will find that different Dr's have different protocols.  This is just what mine says.

3. Temptations can be rough.  I did find the protein shakes satisfying and I did have them with my family while they ate.  In fact, I continued making my family meals during the immediate post-op process.  This is my new life...I embraced it.  Everyone is different so do what works best for you.  Even now all these months later, I battle with head hunger.  I try to read all the food labels so I know exactly what I will be eating (or tempted to eat) and then decide if I want to spend my calories on that. Sometimes I do...but most times now I am able to stop myself.  It is a continued struggle though...I will admit that.  I think it is important that you not only keep track of your weight but also your measurements.  I was actually on a 3 week weight loss stall...but continued loosing inches.  That helps to keep your head in the game.

4.  I told everyone.  That is a personal choice for each of us.  I actually find it easier to keep on track during the work week as it is so much more structured than the weekends.  I plan my meals and snacks.  I drink a protein shake for breakfast at 7am.  Have a snack at 9:30 of beef jerky.  Lunch at noon of no more than 300 calories and another light snack around 3pm.  By the time I head home I have consumed about 600 calories, leaving me 500 calories for dinner and a small snack at home.  Once you get in the groove of it all is pretty easy to maintain.  I do slip occasionally but I try not to beat myself up about it.  It has taken me years to get this way...I don't expect all my bad habits to disappear magically because I have the band now.  Its about conditioning the brain to this new lifestyle.  Everyday is different as the band can be quite fickle as well as my own head being fickle (LOL!).

Best wishes to you and know that the support you need is always right here on this board!
Leslie

My mantra:  Each day is an new opportunity to be happier, healthier and better than the day before.  I will live each day with enthusiam and be thankful for the many blessings that surround me. I will do my best to pay it forward whenever possible

kgjohannes
on 3/22/10 10:23 pm - Lawrence, NJ
Thanks to you all for your responses! Very encouraging and very informative!!!
Most Active