40 pounds

OneRedKansan41
on 3/21/10 2:13 pm
I had surgery back in December. Since then I have lost 40 pounds.. now only another 90 more to go.. sometimes I still need help-I admit that I still love to eat! Exercise class helps too
LillieGracesMom
on 3/21/10 11:30 pm
Isn't it great to know that now you are less than 100 pounds from where you want to be?

Twinels2
on 3/21/10 11:39 pm - Morgantown , PA
Wow 40 pounds is amazing! I hope I can say that in 4 months. I am stuck at 3 weeks out I haven't lost any in over a week. Hopefully the scale will start moving down again and I will be able to say I lost 40 pounds in 4 months too!
Your inspiring!
Shrinking Sharon

Tom C.
on 3/22/10 12:56 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

ORK41 (didn't feel like typing it all out) - the one thing we need to admit is we are addicts, and food is our vice. We always have that desire to eat, but with help of this tool; Professionals; friends; support groups and web folks - we can learn how to deal with it.

Be proud of the weight you lost so far !!

And for EVERYONE - please remember sometimes it is not the number of pounds that someone loses in a specified period of time that is important.

Many may compare their lost to someone else’s, and get discouraged.

The amount of weight lost is affected by many factors. Everyone loses weight at different rates. It has to do with age, gender, one’s weight, exercise, etc.. A 10 pound lost to one person could be as affected as a 40 pound lost to another. Think of it this way: If a 400-pound person loses 40 pounds; a 300-pound person loses 30 pounds, a 200-pound person loses 20 pounds, and a 100-pound person loses 10 pounds – the 400-pound person didn’t necessarily loose more weight than the others. All three lost 10% of their body weight. 

And sometimes it is not the number of pounds that someone loses in a specified period of time that is important. Remember, if you are toning up muscle – your weight loss may seem to have slowed (or stopped), when in fact you are replacing fat with muscle. Muscle is heavier then fat. Someone weighing 200 pounds with a body fat percentage of 25 is carrying around 50 pounds of extra fat. That same person weighing 200 pounds with 10 percent body fat would be carrying only 20 pounds of fat. So it’s not the number that is important.

There are other “scales" you can use to monitor your success: your constant hunger reduction (eliminated); reduced clothing size; increase energy; re-familiarizing yourself to body-parts unseen for years (errr… toes) ; “common" activity becoming easier (walking, climbing steps), just feeling good about yourself; sleeping better (reduced snoring); the mirror; better medical exam results (lower cholesterol and/or blood pressure); etc.

Remember, this isn’t a race. “Slow and steady wins the race".  We are a generation of instantaneous results, however remember we didn’t put all the weight on at once, it took years. So don’t you think losing it would take just as long? This isn't one of those miracle instantaneous weight loss programs. We all know types of programs always fail. This is a way of life

Nowhere does any of the literate state you will lose x amount of weight in x days. Think LONG TERM. If it takes you 2 – 3 -5 years to lose all the weight, WHO CARES!!! How long did it take you to put all those pounds on? Try to remind yourself that even if I lost only 1 pound per week, in year’s time I’d be 52 pounds lighter. Many doctors believe the slower you lose weight, the better chance you have of keeping it off. 

EVERYONE - Be proud of your lost. No matter how small it may seem. Remember, it’s better to lose not a pound then to GAIN an ounce.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
rich_in_nfpa
on 3/22/10 1:29 am - New Freedom, PA
Right on (as usual), Tom. I think a lot of us tend to live and die by those numbers on the scale. I'm hoping for a gradual loss of 1-2 pounds per week. The most important thing is that the overall slope of my weight graph is downward. There may be minor bumps along the way but, as long as the graph is generally moving downward, I'm doing just fine.

I had a significant NSV this weekend. My usual belt moved to its last hole this weekend. I've either got to buy a new belt or punch additional holes in the belt. I definitely need a belt (or suspenders) now with the jeans I normally wear while puttering around the house or garden. I can now take them off without unzipping or unbuttoning. What a great feeling!
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Tom C.
on 3/22/10 1:35 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

WAY TO GO RICH !! KEEP IT UP (especially those pants) !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
OneRedKansan41
on 3/22/10 10:06 am
I love your words, Tom.!
dvolumptious1
on 3/28/10 1:20 am

We all suffer with wanting to just eat sometimes but I guess that will be a lifelong fight like an alcoholic has to fight the urge to drink sometimes. Looking at how much more weight we have to lose can seem a bit overwhelming but I have to admit, it feels nice to still have a challenge and know that I still have something to look forward to on the scale each morning. So keep up the good work and remember that this is a gradual process but in the end, our reward will be sooo great.

Left the band and rocking with RNY.
They say I have an eating disorder but I say, I have my eating in order.         

Most Active