What about Peanut Butter?

Cynthia1968
on 3/19/10 7:01 pm - Waynesboro, PA
I'm due to have banding on 3/30, so I'm still trying to prepare myself for what post-op life will be like.

One of my favorite things to eat now is creamy peanut butter (reduced fat is even pretty good)... not too much, just a TBSP when I feel hunger pangs and need some quick protein.

I was wondering, has anyone tried peanut butter since their surgery?  Is it manageable?  Or is it something I need to put on my 'stay away from' list...

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated - Thanks! 

Considering_It
on 3/19/10 9:57 pm
I have had peanute butter since surgery with no problems.  I have a special peanut butter powder (all the fat is taken out) for mixing into protein shakes.
Tom C.
on 3/19/10 11:53 pm, edited 3/20/10 12:02 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
As always, ALWAYS ASK YOUR DOCTOR OR NUTRIONISTS .. with that said .. As long as it's all natural, no sugar added I don't see why not.

I too put it in my shakes/drinks

I know I did, but peanut (butter) is one of my trigger foods, so I stay away.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Cynthia1968
on 3/20/10 3:31 am - Waynesboro, PA
Where can you find the peanut butter powder?  I was just worried that since you don't really 'chew' peanut butter, it would get stuck...

Considering_It
on 3/20/10 5:33 am
I eat using toddler spoons and forks.  I really like the munchkin spoons because they are small but deep, and really help w/ portion sizes (which I obviously need help with!). 

Here are some great resources for you:
Start getting ready for your post op life :)   http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/index.php  - Can order protein samples $1.99 each - worth it to try a lot of different shakes without a big investment.  I really like Unjury chocolate, Lean Dessert, and Syntha-6 shakes.    http://www.supplementwarehouse.com/brand.asp?brand=509&pxc=5&sh=6 - great prices and will refund $$ w/ return of protein powder you don't like     www.expressmetobolics.com - PB2 (Peanut Butter Powder) & Kay's Natural individual & cases of protein chips/snacks.   www.Bariatricadvantage.com - will send samples of what you request, and have free shipping if you go w/ automatic delivery.  I am signed up for deliveries of 3 months worth of products at a time.   Walmart - Torani sugar free syrups and very small bowls & very small cassarole bowls (perfect portions for WLS people), Munchkin toddler spoons & toddler divided plates for portioning food correctly (baby section)  and not having an empty looking plate!

Good luck :)  
MARIA F.
on 3/20/10 10:32 am - Athens, GA
Go to: BellPlantaion.com . They have the powdered peanut butter It has like 75% less fat I think. they also have a chocolate peanut butter also.  These are very good for protein shakes, sf pudding or plain greek yogurt!

Good luck!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Cynthia1968
on 3/20/10 1:01 pm - Waynesboro, PA
Thank you all for the excellent tips!

patti S.
on 3/20/10 10:57 pm - Millsboro, DE
I understand that a natural peanut butter is best for us to use.
Patti S.            
nkara
on 3/21/10 8:37 am
 I eat peanut butter still. I actually am so far lucky with being able to eat anything I want to so far.... I say so far because I know eventually it might change the more I get fills. 

I really only use peanut butter in my morning protein shake. It helps keep me full longer and helps with the taste of the shake. I can't seem to eat anything in the morning so I'm sticking to that and so far so good. 

Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Life is a Beach
on 3/21/10 10:48 am
Is almond butter any better nutritionally?
 "I may not be moving fast or gracefully, but at least I'm moving!"            
Most Active