surgery date of april19

CarolAnn66
on 3/18/10 3:16 am
ok, I am new but I have been reading all of the posts. I have been doing alot of research and am very confused! I can't decide if lap band is the best or the realize band. My Dr. said he will do either and said the are basically the same. Whats the difference?
conchita109
on 3/18/10 5:34 am - Greencastle, PA
I was told by my physician yesterday that they are basically the same but the REALIZE band is a little wider which helps with some slipping/erosion issues. I hope this helps...

Connie

Everything happens for a reason so, I am taking it a step at a time. I can do it!      

Tom C.
on 3/18/10 6:34 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
CarolAnn66 - what I usually tell people it's like comparing a Honda and Toyota (excluding what Toyota is going through now).

There is are minor differences. I like Realize because of it's success in Europe and Realize My Success support.

But to be honest, it's not the tool (Lap band, Realize Band; RNY; Sleeve, etc) but the person. The tool helps, but you need to make sure you follow all the rules.

No matter which band you choose, no we're here to help you.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
CarolAnn66
on 3/18/10 7:56 am
thanks for the feedback, I just want to be sure that I don't pick one if the other is better. I understand that the realize has a different locking system, can this be felt as opposed to the sutures?
rich_in_nfpa
on 3/18/10 9:20 am - New Freedom, PA
I have a Realize band and I can't feel anything internally from the band. I got my first fill today and didn't feel anything from the band until I drank some water. I could feel that there was a restriction then similar to what I had immediately after surgery due to swelling.

HTH
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
melslongjourney
on 3/23/10 5:26 am, edited 3/23/10 5:26 am
oh also I can't feel anything from the band either. I know where the port is but almost or most of us do from being told or feeling the pain there after surgery. Hey there... They are the same tool just a few differences besides the manufacturer. What I found out from talking to my surgeon was that the realize band has sutures and fasteners to hold the port in place while lap band just has sutures. I asked my doc about them he made them sound like hooks that hold the port in place as a added measure to keep the port in place. That was important to me because I am self pay and I didn't want to have to deal with more surgery from a port flip or something not that it couldn't happen but I am all about preventative measures. I also was told the band itself was wider and it helps from slippage etc. I like others chose the realize band because I wanted to have the support from realize website and I like the success in Europe. Ask the doc to see them both and you can compare, most offices have models of both bands it helps to see them in person than just on-line in pics. My best advice is ask your surgeon lots of questions, if they are there for you as a patient they won't mind a bit and they will likely be happy that you are sure of what you are getting into.
best of luck!

~Melissa~
SW/326 CW/224 GW/175
~ 4cc added in 11cc realize- C band~ 02/08/10~
~1 cc added 03/08/10
~1 cc added 05/03/10
~ 1cc added 07/26/10
~ .05 cc added 09/09/10
~ .05 cc added 01/06/11
~ .25 cc added 06/06/11

Most Active