1 week out today!

cockpit2001
on 3/14/10 6:11 pm - Birmingham, AL
I have made it through the first week and I really hope it only gets better from here. The full liquid diet is wearing thin quickly and I cant wait to get to mushy foods. I am sick of all creamed soups. I may have jumped the gun a little. I went and got a jar of good chicken tortilla soup on day 6 and put it in the blender. I only ate a half of a cup, and it was delicious. I had no problem tolerating it, so I had some for dinner too. I see my doctor today and will ask him if it is ok to eat.

Also, I should get the staples removed today! I am ready to get rid of them (all 13 of them), but am a little afraid of pain from removal. Does this hurt? My sites are still pretty tender, but most of the soreness seems to be getting better.

I have lost 16 pounds this week according to my scale at home. I couldn't be happier with the results so far.

Tom C.
on 3/14/10 6:35 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
CONGRATS on your weight loss !! Doesn't if feel great to be a LOSER ?!?!?

Hopefully today the Doctor will allow you to move onto the next stage. As for going onto next stages earlier than allowed, I need to warn you - it could have adverse results.

The Doctors have these guidelines for a reason, and you should follow it. You don't want to "try" something earlier because (A) while you may feel you're ready, your body may not be and you can do some damage and/or have adverse results (B) if you start "cheating" the system now, it could lead to future "cheating". Again, only YOU know YOU, and you know what will or won't be a trigger for you. You didn't come all this way, only to sabotage yourself. I don't mean to be a d*ck, but just because I care.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
cockpit2001
on 3/15/10 3:25 am - Birmingham, AL
Thanks for the reply Tom. Did you have staples? Did it hut when they removed them?

I will talk to my doc about the chicken soup today.
rich_in_nfpa
on 3/15/10 6:49 am - New Freedom, PA
I didn't have staples for this surgery but I've had staples in the past for other surgeries. I don't remember it being particularly painful to have them removed. A lot has to do with the skill of the person removing them.

My port incision and laparoscopic punctures were all closed with glue. The first time I experienced that I thought it was really weird but I understand they use a glue very similar to Crazy Glue. It seems to work very well and does help minimize scarring.
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Tom C.
on 3/15/10 10:42 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
I had no staples, just dissolvable stitches
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
KKSUNSHINE
on 3/15/10 9:59 am
16lb in 1 week, amazing!!!
I haven't been banded yet & didn't realize there would be staples...but that is good to know.
I noticed that we have the same Dr.
Do you know when you will get your first fill?
Highest weight - 261/ Current weight- 186.4/ Goal weight- 155
Follow my journey on You Tube....bamagirl7995
Tammy G.
on 3/15/10 10:36 am - Indian Trail, NC
The staples were interesting.   My surgeon kept referring to them as staples but they really weren't - it was just a fine fishing line looking stich.   I was really nervous to get them out and little did I know but one of my incisions was infected.  Didn't really hurt to have them removed at all though.  

cockpit2001
on 3/15/10 5:03 pm - Birmingham, AL
Thanks for all the replies. They were indeed metal staples and the removal was painless. All my incision sites are healing fine.

KK, I get my first fill in 5 weeks. Hang in there. It took me a year to jump through all hoops, and I have BCBS as well.

I asked about the soup and they said that it won't hurt me, but I need to slow down and go back to creamed soups for at least 5 more days, and then introduce mushy foods slowly. I am working on making sure I get my 64g of protein per day so I don't feel so hungry. I know some of it is in my head and I need to learn to deal with it.
Most Active