Pre-surgery requirements

LuvlyLissa1026
on 3/10/10 10:39 am
 Hello all!  

I was just wondering what your pre-surgery requirements were with both diet and what your insurance required for approval.  

It seems maybe I have it way easy compared to most.  My insurance company only made me submit to a psych eval with a psychologist that works for the clinic I'm using for my surgery to say I didn't have some weird disorder that would cause me to NOT follow through on everything.  I had this appointment on Friday, he faxed everything to my insurance company at 8am on Monday and by 2pm I got the call saying I was approved.  I have no pre-surgery diet required, other than fasting for 12 hours prior to my pre-op blood work-up and no eating 12 hours prior to surgery. 

I was told that post-op I'll be on liquids for 2 weeks, puree for 2 weeks, soft foods for 2 weeks then can work my way back up to regular meals.  I was told no bread, sugar or soda EVER again, and no drinking through a straw anymore.  I'll be required to get 61g protein daily.  

I've seen so many people posting about denials and pre-op diets and all of these demands being placed on this to have a surgery that could possibly save their life.  I think this is craziness on the part of the surgeon and insurance companies (depending on what demand it is and who is responsible for it).  This isn't the first time I'd looked into the surgery.  Last time I stopped the process because I found out I was pregnant during the initial interviewing process, but I lived in another state, worked for a different employer with different insurance and my demands were the same as they are now.  Both times I've gone through Barix.
Kim U.
on 3/11/10 11:34 am
 Consider yourself lucky and be happy! I didn't have too much trouble either besides having to do the sleep study twice. 
199 here I come! 

Chantel L.
on 3/12/10 1:06 pm - Orlando, FL
I had to be on a 6 month doctor supervised diet, which totally sucked. That's pretty much it for insurance, though. My doc made me get a psych eval, chest xray and surgical clearance from my primary care doc. You do have it easy. :)
 The Incredible Shrinking Tel        
Cynthia1968
on 3/19/10 11:10 am - Waynesboro, PA
Wow... your insurance company sounds GREAT!  I had to have 6 months of nutritional counseling, a sleep study, a psych eval, bloodwork and an EKG.  Once all of that was submitted to my insurance company it was a good two weeks before I heard anything.

But... I was approved, and during this entire process have managed to lose 33 pounds.  I'm scheduled for surgery on March 30th, and plan to lose even more!

Good luck to you on your journey!

Tom C.
on 3/19/10 10:58 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Mine was just like yours. However that was also two years ago.

Each State; Each Insurance Company and each plan has their own specific requirements. My friend and I have the same insurance company, but he had to do some things differently because his plan.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active