3 Months Post-Op...PLATEAU

mfeagan
on 3/11/10 3:30 am
Okay so I'm 3 months post-op. I'm down 34.5 pounds and 41.25 inches! Soooo happy. I work out faithfully because I WORK at Curves! Great perk for after banding surgery patients!

Anyway...I have been stuck at this 34.5 pound loss for the last 3 weeks now. It's starting to drive me CRAZY! I would hope to lose at least 1 pound a week, but it's not budging. My inches are going down still and so is my body fat percentage. I know I'm building muscle, but the weight still should be going down by at least 1/2 to 1 pound per week with as much as I exercise.

I just had a band fill 2 weeks ago and now have 6cc's in my 11cc band. Any tips on getting the weight loss started again? I always get my 70 - 80 grams of protein in per day and I have increased my water intake. What else can I do?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Tana10732
on 3/11/10 4:42 am - Thomasville, NC
Mfeagan,

I am in the same boat with you. I have been at a plateau myself for about 6 weeks. And what's so bad...I'm stuck at 200lbs!!! I cant FOR THE LIFE of ME get below 200!!!! I have kicked up my exercise and reallllly watching what I eat. I keep telling myself to plug away but it is getting hard. If you find something that works, let me know!!!

3cc on 12/10/09, 0.8cc on 1/25/10, 1.0 cc on 3/15/10, 1.0 cc on 4/28/10, 0.2 cc on 6/16/10, 0.7 cc on 8/26/10, 0.8 cc on 10/15/10, 1.0 cc on 3/17/11 and 0.3 cc on 6/9/11.  8.8 cc in my 11cc band

HW 258/SW 242/CW 170/GW 140

Tom C.
on 3/11/10 7:20 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Stalls are natural part of weight loss. It seems the body “catches on" to what we have been doing, and holds onto everything. After a while, the lost restarts and things go well.

However, stalls can also because by eating (a) too much (b) not enough. I know it sounds a little contradictory, and I will try to explain.

Too much: While we need to make sure we hit our protein requirements (60-80 grams, or whatever your Doctor told you), we need to make sure the carbs, calories, etc are “acceptable". Remember, you don’t want to make your 80 grams of protein by eating 4 gallons of ice cream or a starchy carb.

Not enough: Again, make sure you are meeting your daily protein requirements. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO WEIGHT LOSS. The body is a marvelous machine, and it will protect itself. If one doesn’t eat enough, the body’s metabolism will slow down - in order to keep itself functioning. If a person intake is less then what it expels, the body will start to “store" food.

Are you following ALL THE RULES? If you’re not, that could be the issue

Remember, this isn’t a race. “Slow and steady wins the race".  We are a generation of instantaneous results, however remember we didn’t put all the weight on at once, it took years. So don’t you think losing it would take just as long? This isn't one of those miracle instantaneous weight loss programs. We all know types of programs always fail. This is a way of life

As mentioned, FOLLOW THE RULES and you'll be successful. Just have a little patience !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
mfeagan
on 3/11/10 8:26 am, edited 3/11/10 8:26 am
Tom - Thanks so much for the advice.

I am folloing all the rules. Of course, I have had my moments - but they are few and far between - where I don't eat exactly what I should or I have a piece of occasional cake at a birthday party, but other than that, I am getting my protein requirements and sticking to the plan.

I guess I am just a little impatient because I lost so much so quickly. I know the weight loss should slow down after the first 2 months with the gastric band, but I didn't think it would completely stall. I am working out like crazy, but perhaps my body IS in the "protection" mode because I am not getting enough nutrition. I SHOULD know this...I work at Curves for Women AND teach a class about weight loss and it's all about Metabolism and how the body works!

I know I need to have faith in myself that I can continue on! I appreciate the reassurance that this DOES happen! Just looking forward to when the scales begin to move again along with the inches!

Thank you again!

Tammy G.
on 3/11/10 10:27 am - Indian Trail, NC
I did the same thing not long after surgery - about 2 months out.   I journaled everything I was doing and went to see my nutritionist.   She gave me some great tips.   I wasn't eating enough as I was only getting about 500 calories.   She gave me some great tips and shortly after I started losing again.

nkara
on 3/11/10 10:34 am
funny you should post this today. I just had my follow up with Nutrition. I asked the same question because I loss one week and then not for 3 weeks consistantly through out this process. She told me that your body get's used to the new calories and has to adjust so it takes a few weeks.  Say you go down to 1200 calories daily.  Your body get's used to that from week to week and says "hey, I don't need to work as much because this person isn't giving me enough food. I'm going to hold onto every pound till I figure this out"

She suggested shaking up exercise and also changing up your diet. Like instead of running/walking do a bike ride.  Instead of eating a yogurt have a piece of fruit..... etc. 

Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Pixieland
on 3/11/10 8:35 pm - Davison, MI
Great post!  I am stuck as well and following all the rules.  I have been up and down with these 3 stinking pounds for almost a month now.
I am going to change up my workout and see if that might do it for me.
Geez...its so frustrating but I to am loosing inches so I am seeing and feeling the results...I just want to see it on the scale too!!

This post is encouraging.  We can do it!
Leslie

My mantra:  Each day is an new opportunity to be happier, healthier and better than the day before.  I will live each day with enthusiam and be thankful for the many blessings that surround me. I will do my best to pay it forward whenever possible

Most Active