Lettuce!!

auntie4755
on 3/8/10 6:44 am - Riverbank, CA
Hi All..

So Friday, I ate some chicken ceasar salad...and low and behold ( since my first fill) I almost died! OMG - -about 5 min into it, all of a sudden I got that horrible " stuck feeling" and my back and head started to ache.  I was sicker than a dog.

Anyone else have this happen? Before my fill, I had had lettuce and was fine...not now.  It took me about 6 times throwing up what looked like " slimy puddles of clear liquid" I lost all my coloring and my breathing pattern changed.  I knew what it was...but never expected such pain.

After about and hr and a half...I was back to normal. THEN...Saturday, took a teensy weensy bite of asparagus....SAME thing, only less painful.  Immediately when I feel that stuck sensation -- I stop eating and lose all appetite.

Can anyone help with this? I'm only about a month and a half out...and in all my paperwork and research, I never came across anything saying I couldn't eat those things. :(

Angela

Randy Z.
on 3/8/10 9:48 pm - Charlotte, NC
Yea, it is not what you eat, it is how well you chew it.  I just got back from a 2 week business trip and eat out the entire time. Had Chicken at a Japanese place. Most made it down, but I apparentely did not chew one of the last pieces all that well.  Hurt for about 15 minutes.   Felt fine later, so when we passed an ice cream place, I thought a shake would be ok.  BOY, was I wrong.

I have found there are certain foods that I tend not to chew as well. I guess I gulped my food down which is why I used to eat so much. Occasionally, I will find there are some foods that I seem to not chew as well.  Salads are one of those. Some steaks are another.  The Health Coach I was working with, before my company made us change insurance companies this year, emphesized that you eat every thing to the consistancy of apple sauce. If you do that, nothing will get stuck.

I have also found that when I am sensitive to how the food is going down, I am less likely to over eat when it gets stuck.  And when it does, don't eat or drink anything until the feeling as gone away and then only sip or take a small bite just to see how it will sit.  I was a good 1/2 hour of feeling ok after my episode with the shake. And after the shake, I could hardly walk cause it hurt so bad and we had to get a taxi to get back to the hotel.  

Hope this helps some and don't forget to chew chew chew
HW 288 --  4/1/09 at 277.8 --  SW 268.8
Realize band 10/19/09

Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 3/10/10 3:49 am - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
Hi Angela,
I agree with Randy,  After my last fill I've had to really concentrate on how well I'm chewing my food.  I have had a couple of stuck episode and they hurt like h***.  
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

BooLicious
on 3/12/10 2:22 am - PA
Asparagus was actually on my list of CAUTION.  It's stringy nature can cause issues.  However, I can eat it.  You just have to take it slow and chew well, especially after a fill.   Many people say everything can completely change with each fill.  I am sorry you had to go through that though. 

Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Melanie Short
on 3/13/10 12:51 am - Hamilton, OH
When I had my nurtition class before surgery they actually warned us about lettuce. They told us that the first time we eat lettuce, to do so at home because alot of people have trouble. I have so far had no trouble with it, I love salad so I am hoping it continues to not be a problem. Good luck... I hope symptoms will ease as you get more used to your fill...
Melanie    
Most Active