Not what I expected

Tremellia
on 3/6/10 9:28 pm - Indianapolis, IN
HI Weight loss vets...I'm almost a year out and I've only lost 44 pounds...I it was 50 but I've gained a few back...the worst part is that I lost all that by Aug and nothing since.  In Jan. I had a Barium Swallow b/c my doc wanted to make sure that I didn't stretch out my pouch...to her surprise i actually had space between my stomach and my pouch.  My band is almost full, it hold 9ccs and I have a little over 7.  I DON'T FEEL ANYTHING   Sometimes I get a sensation as if something is stuck in my chest but only if I eat to quickly, I slow down and all is cool.

I'm starting to think that I had the wrong surgery.  I was 315 when I started and now I'm 271 so I know that's good but I was hoping to be 215 by April 29th which is my year anniversary, I'M WAY OFFFFFF.  I'm just having a hard time and I want to know how you guys got through this.

Thanks
marilyn09
on 3/7/10 4:35 am - Enid, OK
You've worked hard for those 44 lbs. be proud of your accomplishment. Keep following the Band rules and you'll get to your goal. It may take awhile but you'll eventually get there. When I have no weight loss or when my weight loss slows down, I keep on doing what I'm suppose to (and it's hard when you don't see the results as fast as you want to)Try to remember, one pound at a time, slow and steady. As long as you are losing what's the rush?
This lifetime will never come again, it is precious and irreplaceable. To live without regret, we must have a concrete purpose, continually setting a goal and challenge for ourselves. And we need to keep moving toward those specific targets steadily and tenaciously, one step at a time.- Daisaku Ikeda

mrbillclark
on 3/7/10 7:15 am - Holbrook, MA
I think this seems like another case of someone not realizing what the band does for you. The weight you probably need to lose to get down to optimal weight is 180 pounds or so. The band is supposed to take off 60% or so of your excess weight in 5 years. So it should take 5 years to lose 100 pounds. Why did you think you'd do it 500% faster than that? 4 pounds a month is normal weight loss with the band. It says it in all the literature. None since august stinks, but overall you are right on the correct pace.  

Tremellia
on 3/8/10 7:18 am - Indianapolis, IN

Honestly Mr. Bill, I think I've just been comparing myself to other people and I've just gotten discouraged.  Thanks for the reality check.

(deactivated member)
on 3/11/10 5:59 am - AZ
On March 7, 2010 at 3:15 PM Pacific Time, mrbillclark wrote:
I think this seems like another case of someone not realizing what the band does for you. The weight you probably need to lose to get down to optimal weight is 180 pounds or so. The band is supposed to take off 60% or so of your excess weight in 5 years. So it should take 5 years to lose 100 pounds. Why did you think you'd do it 500% faster than that? 4 pounds a month is normal weight loss with the band. It says it in all the literature. None since august stinks, but overall you are right on the correct pace.  

No, that is not correct.  By the end of 5 years you are considered a success if you have KEPT off 50% of your excess weight.  It should not take 5 years to do so.  It's not a sin if you don't, but most people don't want to take five years to lose their excess weight.

I lost 108# in 10 months with a band but I worked hard too.

Also, when you read an average of 1-2 pounds weekly, that is an AVERAGE.  Most lose much faster in the beginning and much more slowly in the end when they are closer to goal.  The averagae throughout their WLJ is 1-2 # weekly.

nkara
on 3/7/10 11:34 am
 Thank you Mr.BillClark - I was waiting for someone to say this to me as well. 
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Jordiesmama69
on 3/8/10 1:47 am - Roscoe, IL
Sometimes going back to the basics will help you restart the tool. Track what you eat and be sure and push your protein first then veggies.... Measure your food and make your body learn to feel full with a cup of food. It is hard work but you have lost over 40 pounds so you know that you can do this! Hang in there and best of luck to you!
terri64
on 3/8/10 4:08 am - Houston, TX
i was banded in Dec. 09 i have not lost much  weight but i've notice that i'm down to a size 18 from a size 22-24. I'm eating better and exercising more and i feel healthier.  Get back on track and find a work out buddy..
Jordiesmama69
on 3/8/10 4:20 am - Roscoe, IL
See, going down in sizes is a great non scale victory as well! You just have to use this tool the best way its meant for and you will do well. be proud of the weight you have lost and set your mind to take it a step further now.
Kim U.
on 3/11/10 11:31 am
Count and track your calories and make sure you are getting all your protein. As much as we hate to be on a diet you really need to make sure you are on track the band like all have said is a tool its not going to keep you from eating the wrong things. Also are you walking or working out? 

You still have done well 44 pounds in a year thats almost a pound a week! Don't beat yourself up over any of it! Today is a new day! 
199 here I come! 

Most Active