Home from surgery

Hill_Star
on 3/4/10 2:58 am
I can't seem to get in more than 4 oz without feeling like i'm gonna throw up. I'm thinking I might be drinking my liquids to fast. I have this pain...not so bad I can't stand it but enough to bother in my neck on the left side and my collar bone. Could this be gas or how they had my head fix during surgery or what? The reason I asks is because I had my surgery on the 1st of March and its been 4 days now and its still there. How long will this last?
Erin529
on 3/4/10 5:55 am - Oldsmar, FL

first of all, congrats on taking this first step toward a new healthy lifestyle!!!

the pain in your neck and collarbone is possibly what is called referred pain. It is very common in patients following laparoscopic surgeries. It should disapate in a few days. I actually found it more painful than the actual incision sites. My surgeon told me to take gas-x for the gas in my abdomin but I felt that it helped the pain in my neck. Ask your surgeon if you can use a similar product. Also when I was recovering I found it easier to drink 2 oz  at a time every 30 min or so, make sure to sip it slowly.

I hope this helps, and that you feel better soon. :)

-Erin          
Tammy G.
on 3/4/10 7:04 am - Indian Trail, NC
The gas pains after surgery was very odd to me.   I asked my nurses also.   My pains were in my sides, my right shoulder, and below my right breast.    I was told that they fill the abdomen to float the organs to make it easier to get where they need to get.    It took about a week and half to go away.    Walking helped a lot.   I tried to rest for 1 hour - then get up and move around even if it were just walking around the house for 5 minutes.  

On drinking 4 oz - drink slowly.   It took me about 30 minutes to get down 2 oz. of liquids.   I just kept a protein drink or water close by all the time and just sipped slowly almost all the time.

Good luck - and congratulations.

mrbillclark
on 3/5/10 12:06 am - Holbrook, MA
Walking is the thing that helps the gas dissipate so get up and walk as much as you can. You'll feel a lot better.  

Tana10732
on 3/5/10 5:38 am - Thomasville, NC
I agree with the other posters, walk, walk, walk!!! It really will help get rid of those gas pains. I had them in my chest wall and thought I was having a heart attack! But, the more I walked the better I felt.

3cc on 12/10/09, 0.8cc on 1/25/10, 1.0 cc on 3/15/10, 1.0 cc on 4/28/10, 0.2 cc on 6/16/10, 0.7 cc on 8/26/10, 0.8 cc on 10/15/10, 1.0 cc on 3/17/11 and 0.3 cc on 6/9/11.  8.8 cc in my 11cc band

HW 258/SW 242/CW 170/GW 140

Hill_Star
on 3/6/10 3:33 pm
Thanks so much for all the replys. I figured that was what it was but I didn't know. I had gall stones taken out and I don't remember it like this. It was more in my shoulders and arms. I guess I'll have to give it time. I'm having a new problem now...for some reason I feel like I have a lump in my throat all the time. What could this be. I'm gonna call my doctor Monday and asks a couple of questions to be on the safe side.
Most Active