Truly Confused...

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/10 12:01 pm, edited 3/3/10 12:03 pm - Philadelphia, PA
I had my 1st follow-up appt with the doc today and he said I was healing well after having surgery 9 days ago and everything seems to be looking good. I had to have paperwork filled out for my job and asked for all operative reports and anything else needed for my time off with my job. My confusion comes in here, I signed my paperwork with the doctor a week before surgery and asked specifically for the Lap Band as I read over all my paperwork and spoken to him he said he implanted the Realize Band C and all went well. I was in a confused state trying to figure out if I had asked for the Realize Band or Lap Band but specifically remember asking for the Lap Band. What should I do, how should I feel? I asked for one thing and received another.
Tom C.
on 3/3/10 10:50 pm, edited 3/3/10 10:50 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Mook108 - IMHO the difference between the bands are slight enough that you'll never know the difference. Again IMHO the band doesn't make the success or not, it's the PERSON. I've known people who had ALL different bariatric surgeries (bands, bypass, sleeves, etc) and the success really depended on the person themselves, and following the rules.

With all that said, you may want to speak to the Doctor to see which band was actually put in. If you requested/demanded one thing, and you got something else, you have a right to be angry. Now is it worth another operation to take it out and put in the one you wanted. ONLY YOU CAN ANSWER THAT!! But again, I would be a little concerned and question it - especially if (GOD FORBID) something goes wrong or you don't get the results you were expecting. PERSONALLY: I rather have what I requested and FAIL and know it was BECAUSE OF ME then getting something I never requested and Failing and then always wondering "would I have been successful if I had XXX instead of YYY".

MOOK108 - no matter which band you actually have, always know we're here for you !
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
(deactivated member)
on 3/4/10 11:51 am - Philadelphia, PA
I'm happy about receiving the Realize Band but I thought that if I ask for something specific I would get it. I saw my doc yesterday but called today to get the paperwork I signed for consent for surgery and it says Laparoscopic Gastric Band but specifically remember him and I saying I wanted the Lap Band. I plan to ask the nurse once I speak with her and find out am I reading things wrong or were there any changes. I did however look into the Realize Band after speaking with a few people who had the Realize Band and wanted to get it towards the end but didn't think I had enough time to ask for it. Guess I should just be happy about it.
James M.
on 3/5/10 1:45 am - SAGINAW, MN
I was given the choice as my doc does both,but he said he liked the realize better and if it was going in his body he would have a realize,and I love my realize band. 
Best of luck
MARTY

rich_in_nfpa
on 3/5/10 6:36 am - New Freedom, PA
Bariatric surgeons sometimes don't decide on which band to use until they actually get inside you. There may be things that favor one band over the other. I don't know what they are but my surgeon said that sometimes he doesn't make up his mind until the last minute.

I requested the Realize band and, as far as I know, that's what I got. I did tell him before we went into the OR that I preferred the Realize band but that if he thought I'd be better off with a Lap-Band that was fine with me.

I agree with Tom. The bands are only a tool. It's up to us to do the work. As far as I know there is little difference between the 2 bands. I wanted Realize because of the online support it comes with and also because a friend of mine got a Realize band a year and a half ago and has been very happy with it.

Follow doctor's orders and your nutritionist's advice and you should do just fine.
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Most Active