Recovery after surgery

Erin529
on 2/25/10 10:42 am - Oldsmar, FL
Hi everyone,
I had my surgery yesterday, and I feel really bad which my surgeon told me to expect, but I was just wondering how long it took people to be able to sit comfortably in an upright position after surgery.
-Erin          
Considering_It
on 2/25/10 10:59 am

I wore sweatpants for a week after surgery, and mostly sat in a recliner.  The only place I sat upright was in a car.  Everyday I felt a little better than the day before.
Hope you feel better soon :)

rich_in_nfpa
on 2/25/10 7:11 pm - New Freedom, PA
I had my surgery on Tuesday and, so far, my experience has been much like "Considering_It". Each day has been a little better than the previous day. I spend most of my time in a recliner but make sure to get up and walk around the house at least once an hour. The first night I was home I even went up and down the basement stairs to do 2 small loads of laundry (no more than I could carry with one arm and the other hand on the railing). Laproscopic surgery is much easier on the patient than "old fashioned" open incisions, but anytime you poke holes through the abdominal wall, the body gets unhappy about it. Keep moving and it will get better.
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
nutbat
on 2/25/10 9:22 pm
I felt really, really bad the first day after surgery, but the day after that I was able to sit up and walk around fine.
Chantel L.
on 2/26/10 12:00 am - Orlando, FL
I had my surgery a week ago today. It was Wednesday before I felt like myself again, and I do feel better each day when I wake up. Do not underestimate your recovery. Mine was way worse than I expected. People make it sound really easy but it was the hardest thing physically and mentally I've ever done. Really, though, hang in there! You wil feel better. Take a hot shower and get into clean bed sheets. At this point it's the little things that will make you feel better.
 The Incredible Shrinking Tel        
jscntwait
on 2/26/10 12:42 pm - Baltimore, MD
I started to feel normal by day 3. I stopped taking the pain meds and made myself walk around more. By day 4, I was ready to hit the streets.
On my weigh, to a healthier, happier me!!
Tammy G.
on 2/27/10 8:06 am - Indian Trail, NC
I had surgery on Jan 15.   The incision for my port was right below the bra line which caused two issues.   The first was when I sat up straight my bra rubbed against the incision making it very uncomfortable.   The second was the pressure of my breast against the port was uncomfortable.    It took time for the swelling to go down and the incisions to fully heal.   So while I was up and about very quickly - sitting straight up took me about 3 weeks.    Even now if I try to bend over and touch my toes I can feel the port below the breast.   What the others say is absolutely true - each day it gets a little better.   I'm not uncomfortable shaving my legs anymore now.   Sitting up isn't a problem now but I'm looking forward to the day I can do sit ups again.    Bending over and picking things up on the floor require me to bend my legs carefull - not bend over.

I found a pillow was a great friend.   If I was sitting up straight - even in a car - I put a soft pillow across my stomach.   It provided some support and helped lift my breast off the sensitive area.

Good Luck - and I know tomorrow you will feeling better than today.

mrbillclark
on 2/28/10 11:46 am - Holbrook, MA
It was 3 days before I could sit up on my own and a week and a half before I could do it pain free.

Most Active