Not sure how to proceed.....

KKSUNSHINE
on 2/23/10 10:22 am
I went to my PCP today for my 4th visit out of the 7 I have to do for the insurance requirements. I had him check my records for my weight in the yrs 2006, 2007 & 2008 b/c that is what my surgeon said they needed to give to the insurance company. I was not heavy enough in my 2006 weight that he had recorded. I was heavy enough in 2007 & after however, I was not diagnosed with high blood pressure until 2008 & that would be the co-morbidity that I have in order to qualify for the surgery.
I am not sure what I need to do now. Any suggestions?
Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 2/23/10 1:19 pm - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22

Hi,
Have you had a sleep study to see if you have sleep apnea?  What I have been told if you have sleep apnea it is kind of a shoe in.  What insurance do you have?   Good luck the next 3 weigh ins. 

Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

KKSUNSHINE
on 2/23/10 7:30 pm

Yes I have had my sleep study done & the psych evaluation & have been released by both of those Drs for surgery. I didn't have sleep apnea. Even though I had seen the Dr as far back as 2004 for high blood pressure I was actually diagnosed with it until 2008, so I am hoping the insurance will take into count those previous records. I guess I will call the surgeons office to see what they say.

Gloria S.
on 2/23/10 8:43 pm - Lexington, MA
It really depends on the requirements of your insurance.  Talk with your surgeon's office and see what resources they have to help make the case for  you.  Also I think both band manufacturers have phone lines to helps. I don't have those numbers but your surgeon's office should.  Good Luck!

Banded 8/16/2006; Dr. Billy, Ventura, CA; maintaining since 12/2007

For more lap band inspiration and information visit
www.bandedliving.com

Confused about whether or not surgery is for you, read my book "Is Lap Band Surgery for Me?, available on amazon
Tom C.
on 2/24/10 12:34 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Since I am unsure what state your in, who your insurance company is and/or what their requirements are .. what I KNOW about NJ is .. The insurance companies care about YOUR RECENT conditions/weight. You could be 100 pounds last year and excellent shape, but today you weigh 300 pounds with co-mobilities - that's what they want to know.

Excellent advice to check with your Doctor's office and/or Insurance company.

Good luck !! And know we're here for you.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
KKSUNSHINE
on 2/24/10 10:02 am
My insurance requires 7 consecutive monthly visits supervised by my PCP. Also to have a sleep study & also psych evaluation. They want recorded weight for the previous 3 years & your BMI has to be at least a 40 or 35 with 1 co-morbidity.
These are the requirements I got from my surgeons office as well as the insurance company. I have BCBS of Alabama (I live in Alabama also).
I have a feeling that it will work out b/c in 2007 I had a BMI of 40 without a co-morbidity & in 2008 & 2009 my BMI was lower but I was diagnosed with high blood pressure.
My neighbor who works for a Bariatric Surgeon told me this would be fine. She is the benefits coordinator & works with my insurance company every day. So I am sure she knows her stuff. I feel more relieved tonight. Thank you guys for your input, it means alot.
KKSUNSHINE
on 2/25/10 9:11 am
I found out today that I am good to go. I just need to get my records from my plastic surgeon for 2007 & that will be it. I only need 2007, 08 & 09. The time I was diagnosed with high blood pressure doens't matter, as long as I am being treated for it now. So I feel alot better.
I also found another support group that I can attend. That will give me 2 a month. I really enjoy going.
Tom C.
on 2/25/10 10:30 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

GREAT NEWS !! I am polishing and sanding down your seat on the loser's bench in our winner's circle.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active