insurance [BCBS] is driving me crazy!

(deactivated member)
on 2/23/10 3:24 am - New Albany, IN
This is my first post, though I have been reading others' posts for the past several weeks.

I am so frustrated.

My healthcare provider sent my insurance the necessary paperwork on 1/27/2010, then on 2/2/2010. I have called 8 different times trying to confirm they received the packet (I know that the decision takes at least 15 business days after receipt). Each time I called, I was told if we got a fax confirmation, it was received and I had to wait 15 business days before anyone could even see if the packet was received. My challenge is if they did not, I wasted all of that time. No one called me back, even though I have left messages with each call.

Today, I finally received a call from a supervisor (I had to finally get nasty to get any response). Surprise! Surprise! They have no record of receiving either fax. Now I have to wait at least another 15 business days or more for a decision! How frustrating. It should not be this hard.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent! Any words of encouragement would be appreciated.

-Jen
Tom C.
on 2/23/10 6:12 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Jen - here are some suggestions I do with ANY company I call - especially insurance (and you probably did this) ..

(01) When you call - no matter HOW PISSED you are, be polite and nice.

(02) Make sure you note the day, date, time and who you spoke to. Ask the person for their name. They may only give a first name, so ask for a last initial or a employee number/id

(03) When you call, tell the person who answers while you know they are capable, can you please speak to their supervisor. Explain it's not reflection on them, but you have been getting all conflicting information and would like to speak to a supervisor. The person MAY realize your frustration, and be more receptive to helping you (or go that extra step)

(04) When you speak to the supervisor (or nice first line person) try using this opening "I am having a slight problem and I really hope you can help me resolve it" - I can't tell you how many times I use that line, and I get such a better result.

(05) After the person helped you, ask to speak to their supervisor so you can give a positive feedback. By doing this you not only give that person the idea you are happy with their efforts, but in reality you're getting another supervisor's supervisor name (or contact - make sure you note that person too).

I wish you luck.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
(deactivated member)
on 2/23/10 8:05 pm - New Albany, IN
Good advice and much appreciated!

Thanks!
Most Active