Just had surgery Friday and already sooo hungry!

leigh123
on 2/21/10 10:13 am
So, I just had surgery Friday...didn't think I would be so very hungry already!! and I didn't know my surgeon's post op instructions would be: liquid post op for week 1 and week 2....mushies week 3 and week 4!!! are you kidding me???  I just need a little something solid!!!
mrbillclark
on 2/21/10 11:22 am - Holbrook, MA
 I don't know about your surgeon, but liquids for mine included pudding, jello, cottage cheese, applesauce. I lived on pudding made with unflavored protein powder mixed in for the first week and a half. Admittedly I cheated the last few days and started mushies early. I mixed in some chili and mashed potatoes the last couple days before I was supposed to. 

leigh123
on 2/21/10 3:05 pm
my surgeon said liquids consist of anything you could suck through a straw....what i would do for some cottage cheese!!!  what would be some examples of "mushies" ?
mrbillclark
on 2/21/10 10:56 pm - Holbrook, MA
Never really had a strictly mushies stage. It was clear liquids in the hospital for first day, then full liquids for 2 weeks whi*****luded those things I said, then everything but pasta, breads, rice, fruits, veggies (mostly just protein.)  

Tom C.
on 2/21/10 8:15 pm, edited 2/21/10 8:17 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Remember, this is what MY Nutritionists and Doctor recommended for ME. Yours may have a different view, so check with them. That's why there are there.

ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR BEFORE INCREASING / CHANGING YOUR INTAKE

CLEAR LIQUID STAGE – for first 48 hours – or directed by your Surgeon

Water/Ice chips

Low-Fat broth

Sugar-free gelatin

Sugar-free powder drink mix (ex Crystal Light)

Clear fruit juices (no sugar added) and diluted 1/2 with water (ex Apple/Grape juice)

Non-carbonated/sugar free flavored waters

Unsweetened decaffeinated ****) tea

Sugar-Free Popsicles

Clear Protein drink

ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR BEFORE INCREASING /CHANGING YOUR INTAKE

FULL LIQUID STAGE – After day 3 or 4 – or directed by your Surgeon

Protein shake – less than 30 grams of protein and 10 carbs per serving.

Skim (Plus) Milk

Low-fat STRAINED cream soup made with Skim (Plus) Milk

Non-fat/no sugar ADDED Light smooth yogurt (remember yogurt will have sugar because it’s dairy).

Sugar-free/Fat-free pudding (make with Skim Milk)

Natural/No Sugar added smooth apple sauce (no chunks)

Thinned hot cereals that can pass through a funnel (ex. Oatmeal; Farina; Cream of Wheat)

Whipped low-fat cottage cheese.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
kimberlina180
on 2/21/10 11:44 pm
REALIZE Band on 02/09/10 with
I'm on day 20 of liquids, 1 more left. My diet is similar to what Tom listed above. IMO this is a good guide for describing the different stages:
http://www.hopkinsbayview.org/bin/g/y/nutrition_band.pdf
aBeautyWithin
on 2/22/10 11:18 am
I only had to do liquids for a week. Then I did creamy foods in week 2 and now im onto mushy foods until my first fill. 
follow your bliss..

Michelegz
on 2/23/10 3:05 am - Richmond, KY
I understand I had my surgery on Thurday (2-18) and yes I was hungery on the second day after.  I had to stay on a clear liquid diet for two days after the surgery but now have moved to just liquid but includes protein shakes, sugar-free jello.  Things like cottage cheese is the next phase which is next Monday.  Remember the mushie foods should be protein not carbs.  So look at soup beans, refried beans, finely chopped up chicken, and peanut butter.  I have to stay on this for about a week.  Remember not to rush anything.  It will get better.  I have lost 15 pounds since the surgery so that is something that is helping me out alot.
Start Weight - 260 lbs
Goal Weight - 150 lbs

Most Active