GAH! I need a veteran bander to explain this to me

Considering_It
on 2/19/10 9:31 pm

According to the scale, I gained a pound!  How is that possible?  My calories are only 950 per day....I know I need to start excercizing, but how can I actually gain?  No, it is not TOM.
Can't wait to have my Metobolic testing and know exactly how many calories my body actually needs.

CheeseheadChris
on 2/20/10 9:21 am - Sandy Springs, GA
When you say that you gained a pound, do you mean since the last time you weighed or total since surgery? 

wildheart63
on 2/20/10 10:17 am - IL
Normal Normal Normal   you are still in the early stages...get used to eating corectly, that is what this time is for. you will lose and gain,just like any dieting human,the band is a tool to help,but if you read the lapband forum you will see alot of people gain and then lose all the time, it is a learning curve to figure out what you have to do to lose.just be carefull and chew chew chew...stuck episodes are not fun.....
Lori

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/10 2:27 am - Henderson, CO
Perhaps the gaining of a pound is from too much salt so water retention? Maybe, if you're like me, prior to that special monthly time you may gain a pound (or three)? Definitely don't get frustrated over a 1 pound gain, or any gain that might happen on your journey. The band is a tool and we still have to do all the work to help lose the desired weight we wish. Unfortunately it won't fall off our bodies quickly but it didn't get on quickly either so I say just take each day and mostly go by how you feel. As y ou start working out and gaining muscle then you'll find that maybe the scale won't move or may move up as well but the inches could be coming off from the fat you're burning instead (and of course muscle burns fat faster but also weighs more than fat). Don't stress about it you're doing great and as long as you feel good about yourself and what you're doing it will eventually catch back up with you.

Abbe
Considering_It
on 2/21/10 3:23 am
Thanks -there is a possiblity that the instant mashed potatoes had to much salt.  I won't freak :)
Thanks everyone for the reminder that not panic and focus on new eating habits and healing.
Tom C.
on 2/21/10 7:59 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
 Ugggggghhhh .. Scales .. Some of us (me include) believe scales should be used only for fish or piano ... However, many others like to weight themselves regularly. They feel it helps keep them on track.

Don't get too crazed with the numbers. Our weight fluctuates day to day, hour to hour, second by second (how many times have you stepped off the scale and go back on and see a different weight).

Just make sure you're following all the rules: drinking 64 ounces of non-carbonate caffeine-free liquid; 60 to 80 grams of protein; no drinking during/30 minutes before/after meals; etc.

Also remember there are other “scales" you can use to monitor your success: your constant hunger reduction (eliminated); reduced clothing size; increase energy; re-familiarizing yourself to body-parts unseen for years (errr… toes) ; “common" activity becoming easier (walking, climbing steps), just feeling good about yourself; sleeping better (reduced snoring); the mirror; better medical exam results (lower cholesterol and/or blood pressure); etc.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Considering_It
on 2/21/10 9:33 am
Thanks Tom...once again, great advice. Thanks :)
Most Active