Any advice?

Zoey0317
on 2/11/10 11:21 pm
My current BMI is 50.6 and my surgeon had suggested RNY over the band although he did not refuse to do the band. I have been scheduled for the band but I just wondering if anyone has any last words for me that I might want to hear first. I chose the band because I like the idea of it over the RNY for several reasons. I guess I just need to hear some success stories of people loosing an extreme amount of weight with the band.
Jordiesmama69
on 2/12/10 1:47 am - Roscoe, IL
When I went and spoke to a surgeon about surgery, the Dr I saw was very pushy towards the bypass. I knew I wanted the band and so I decided to wait, gained another 75 pounds, putting me well over 400 pounds. I went and saw the new dr, and although she was leaning towards the bypass, told me it was my decision. It will be 2 years at the end of this month. I have lost over 200 pounds. I truly believe that if it is the band that you want and you have a mind set to use this tool, then you need to do what you feel is right, do not let anyone make that choice for you! Best of luck with your journey!
Zoey0317
on 2/12/10 2:33 am
Thank you so much for you post. That is a relief to hear that someone else has been through it and done so well. I just hope I have the same result. Thanks!
Tom C.
on 2/12/10 2:44 am, edited 2/12/10 2:45 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Of course your Doctor knows you better then I, and he may have a specific reason why he suggests RNY. But if you really want the band, and feel this is the best thing for you – then (IMHO) Stick to your guns.

Some Doctors are comfortable doing one operation over the other, and will tell the patient operation "A" isn't good for you because blah-blah-blah. When in reality it's because they haven't had success or have been trained in doing the other operation. You may want to check with two other Doctors, even if you don’t want to use them - just to get their opinion. However if 3 Doctors tell you the same thing, then it’s probably right. Example, if you suffer from Type 2 Diabetes, the bypass is better at quickly addressing Type 2 Diabetes.

I started my Journey at 435 and a BMI of 55.8. Two years later I am around 250 pounds, and down to 32.7. I still have some way until I hit MY GOAL (I would love to be 220) - but I am happy .. let me correct that .. ECSTATIC with my results. Even if I never lose another pound.

Of course your results may be different, but all I am trying to show you is IT CAN BE DONE.

Finally, with one Doctor I went to see I was told RNY would be better and I told him with all due respects, if I fail at WLS I want to know it's with the operation I CHOSE. I would hate to always wonder "If I had the band, would results have been different". That's why I chose the Doctor I did because he respected MY opinion. And I am happy I did.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active