Wish Me Luck!!!!!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/10 7:47 am - Elkhorn City, KY
Hi everyone,

I went to my Dr. today. he said my Hiatal Hernia can be fixed during my band surgery . He talked to me and my husband about my surgery answered our questions and sent me to the Surgical Weight Loss Team next door to make sure they have everything ready to be sent to my ins. I am glad Dr.Tompkins is my Dr. he really is nice he tries to make sure my appts are set up as many at a time the same day because it is a 3  hr drive.
He wants me to lose 10 to15 lbs. before the surgery to shrink the liver.
I did notice Dr.Tompkins smiles all the time. Before i leave he always assures me i can do it i have the willpower and remindes me to take my vitamins.
Now i wait for a approval from the Ins.                                                

What are some of the things you guys ate on this diet besides  the 2 shakes a day ?

Wish me luck guys  i'll need it while i wait!                                                       

Considering_It
on 2/11/10 11:27 am
LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(deactivated member)
on 2/11/10 12:32 pm - Elkhorn City, KY

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/10 12:25 pm, edited 2/11/10 12:31 pm - Elkhorn City, KY
sorry typeO

Wish me GOOD Luck

Considering_It
on 2/11/10 8:53 pm
LOL GOOD LUCK! 
Tom C.
on 2/11/10 9:46 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Let me start off by saying: Each Doctor and/or Nutritionists have their own beliefs. So please speak to them before changing/supplementing your eating schedule and approved foods.

Through-out this journey, in order to be successful there are certain “rules" you will need to follow;

(1) Drink at least of 64 ounces of non-carbonated/decaffeinated liquids (your Dr/Nut may have different target amount)

(2) Make sure you get your required Protein in. Protein is the key to staying full, and losing weight

(3) No drinking 30 minutes prior; during meal; or 30 minutes after meats (your Dr/Nut may have different rules)

(4) When eating it’s always: Protein first, then vegetables, then (if room) have your NON-starchy carbohydrate.

(5) Always chew – chew – chew – chew. Don’t swallow until it feels like baby-food in your mouth

(6) ok .. a little gross and try to figure out what I am saying .. What you think may be a “GAS" may come out as a “Liquid" or “Solid" .. so BECAREFUL and BE PREPARED !!

(7) Exercise – I am not talking about a marathon, but at least walk. Over time make your exercise 30 minutes a day for 5 days a week (doesn’t have to be consecutive). My suggestion do two days; rest a day; do two days; rest a day; do two days

(8) You must eat to lose weight – yes a strange concept but if you don’t, your body will go into “starvation mode" and “store all it can".

Now this is the Diet Progression that was set for me. Again, speak to your Dr/Nut before adding/following this

Clear liquids for the first 48 hours.

This included:

Water/ice chips

Low-fat broth

Sugar-free Jell-O

Sugar-free juices

Sugar-free popsicles

Sugar-free water flavor powders (ex. Crystal Light)

Noncarbonated flavored waters

Unsweetened decaffeinated tea/diet iced-tea

ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR BEFORE INCREASING /CHANGE YOUR INTAKE

After 3 – 4 days, I went to the full liquid diet:

Protein shake (less than 30 grams of protein and less than 10 grams of carbs per serving) – made with either water or Skim (Plus) Milk

Skim (Plus) milk

Vegetable juice (V8/tomato)

Low-fat cream soup (made with Skim (Plus) Milk and passed through a strainer)

Light-smooth nonfat/no sugar added yogurt (Greek yogurt has more protein)

Sugar-free/fat-free pudding (made with Skim (Plus) Milk)

Unsweetened/Natural/no sugar added (SMOOTH) apple sauce

Whipped low-fat cottage cheese

Non-Fat ricotta cheese

2 to 3 weeks you can go into the soft-food stage, whi*****ludes:

Oatmeal/Cream of Wheat/Farina (made with water or Skim (Plus) Milk and passed through a strainer)

Soft-cooked eggs/Egg beaters

Canned tuna/salmon packed in water (moisten with low-fat mayo if necessary)

Soft-baked/broiled/stewed: chicken and/or fish

Low-fat deli meats

Tofu

Soft low-fat cheeses

Cooked lentils; kidney beans, peas, legumes

Black bean/lentil soups (strained, no chunks)

Soft-cooked vegetables

Canned fruits packed in “light" or “own" juices

Low-fat refried beans

After one month I was allowed to go onto solid foods.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
(deactivated member)
on 2/12/10 5:41 pm - Elkhorn City, KY
Thank you for answering my post
I have a list the dietian gave me my doctor wanted me  to lo lose enough to shrink my liver when he gets the approval from the ins then i go on a  more strict diet 2 weeks before surgery. I go to a 3 hr dietian class before surgery. When i come in for the fills  you met with Weight loss team also they are next door to the dr.They have a great program that helps you get to your goal weight
I have been on so many diets that didn't work that i am nervous about this i guess.Hopefully with the surgery i can get where i need to be. Thanks for all your information.
Faye67
on 2/16/10 6:58 am
Most Active