Need of Advice Please

shellbug80
on 2/10/10 1:37 am - Vilonia, AR
Hello! I'm just beginning this process. I'm waiting for approval from my insurance. I started with one Dr and had to switch to another Dr because of my insurance. The new Dr seems great and very knowledgeable. The only thing I'm having an issue with is he uses the Realize Band. I always assumed the Dr would use the Lap-Band. For some reason the Realize Band never crossed my mind. So now I'm trying to do as much research as possible. Of course both websites say their band is better. So now I'm here asking for advice from people that have first hand knowledge. If anyone can shed some light on a preference of one over the other I would greatly appreciate it!
MaMa_M
on 2/10/10 1:58 am - MI
The difference between the two bands is minimal. I decided on the Realize Band because it has been used outside the US much longer than the LapBand has been in use. The Realize Band port is small and I felt I would have less chance of it showing once I lose the weight. The weight loss and success rates are very similar as well as their occurrences of issues. Keep in mind that all surgeries have risks and complications can occur. Good luck in your journey. This is a great place to get information and support.
MaMa M

nkara
on 2/10/10 12:01 pm

I believe the biggest difference is the port. I also think it hold more saline and the Realize band has less chance of slippage because of the design.

I didn't have a choice with my band, it was the only one my doctor felt comfortable working with.

I'm happy with mine and have no complaints so far.

Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

heidicat
on 2/11/10 7:05 pm - Fultondale, AL
I was told that the Realize band is wider and it it will not slip as easily and also the port is made different so it anchors better to your abdominal wall  and will not flip as easily.

Tom C.
on 2/11/10 9:33 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
As I tell it, the band choices are similar to buying a Honda or Toyota (well - with the recent way Toyota has been I need to change that).

While I could go into the details of the differences, and they are minor, the truth is NO BAND (or procedure) is better than the other if you're not ready to make the commitment to change and follow the "rules" you will be required adhere to.

Personally, I have been very successful with the Realize band. I am two years out, down 185+ pounds (started at 435), had only two fills and feel wonderful. I've gotten my life back.

If you want more details about differences, etc send me a personal message and I could send you sites to check. Again, it's very little difference.

Good luck and I wish you all the success. And know I am saving you a seat on our Loser's Bench in the Winner's Circle.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
shellbug80
on 2/19/10 9:22 am - Vilonia, AR
Thank you so much everybody! I feel alot better about everything after hearing from everybody. And on a good note I just found out that my insurance approved me! So super excited! I can't wait to start this new chapter in my life!
Tom C.
on 2/19/10 9:28 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Thanks for sharing the GREAT NEWS !! Good luck on your journey, and know we're here for you !
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active