Progress...

Cathy B.
on 2/10/10 4:53 am - Statham, GA
Had my upper GI yesterday, as well as the appointment with the nutritionist!  Consultation with surgeon is Friday morning.  Yipee!!!  Only two more appointments after that, then the paperwork will be submitted for final insurance approval!  Since my surgery is still probably 4-5 (minimal) weeks away, I still have time to work on my "bucket list" of places and things I want to indulge in before banding.  I know that's not a healthy way to think, but I will enjoy every bite, knowing that it will be a very, very long time before I'll be able to eat some of those things again... if ever.  Once I see the surgeon on Friday, it's time to start cutting back and transitioning my diet, so starting Monday, I'm going to do Slim Fast shakes for two meals a day, then enjoy one meal a day.  All this working toward the 2-week preop full-liquid diet.  I think once i see the surgeon on Friday, it will seem like it is REAL and is going to happen. 
Surgery date:  May 4, 2010!! 

andrea73
on 2/10/10 6:20 am
 Congrats!! You are on your way!
8.5 CC in my 11 CC Band

MARIA F.
on 2/10/10 6:46 am - Athens, GA
Look for the Slim Fast Low Carb! I am not sure if it is back on the market yet. The Slim Fast RTD was taken off the market a few mos. ago. I was the reg. Slim Fast at Sam's on Mon. but they did not have the Low Carb there.

FormerlyFluffy.com

mrbillclark
on 2/11/10 12:16 am - Holbrook, MA
 I'm so glad my doctor didn't make me do liquid diet 2 weeks prior to surgery as a lot of the people here seem to say. I had a last weekend of meals right before a Tuesday surgery. Liquids only for 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after has to really suck. It will be worth it though. 

Tom C.
on 2/11/10 10:05 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Cathy many of us went through the "LAST SUPPER" syndrome before the operation, but BELIEVE ME when I say .. With a good band, whatever restaurant you enjoyed before the operation you'll enjoy after the operation. You'll just be eating smaller portions. It may take months/year(s) but you will.

Now mind you, I am two years out and haven't had McDonalds or Burger King or any fastfood stuff like that. It's not because I can't, it's because I don't want to. I've come too far for that. But I know there will be a time when I need to eat and there will be no other choice - but until then, I refrain.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
kasondra123
on 2/15/10 1:36 am - CT
How long was the process??

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Cathy B.
on 2/15/10 1:55 am - Statham, GA
Kasondra, I submitted my application to the surgeon's office on 1-8-10.  I had my initial consultation with him this past Friday.  Looks like surgery will be 6-8 weeks out.  One reason for the long delay was I couldnt get an apt with the psychologist until 2-26 for preliminary testing then 3-5-10 for formal consult with him.  His paperwork will be sent to surgeon's office the following week, then my insurance takes about three weeks to approve, then surgery will be scheduled two weeks out from that.  My surgeon requires 2 weeks liquid diet preop, thus the 2-week delay following approval.  There's probably a huge difference in the length of the process based on your surgeon's policies and what type of insurance you have.  Looks like my total time will be about 3-4 months from time of application to surgery date.  It's passing by a lot faster than I thought! 

Where are you in the process, or are you just considering the procedure? 

Hope this helps!!
Surgery date:  May 4, 2010!! 

Most Active