Off-Limits Foods

SWJ_81
on 2/7/10 6:17 am - AR

Is the list of "off-limits" foods such as bread, fruit skins, fried foods, etc the exact same for banded people as they are for RNY people?

Tom C.
on 2/7/10 8:00 pm, edited 2/7/10 8:15 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
** SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR/NUTRITIONISTS ALERT ** 

According to my Nutritionists/Doctor: when you have a good band (and you know what you're doing) OVER TIME you should be able to eat anything you did prior to the operation, but in small portions. With that said, in the beginning I have been told to refrain from greasy fried foods and breads.

After about 6 to 9 months you may want to try to see if you can tolerate bread. I can as long as it's burnt to a crisp. Personally I refrain from WHITE bread, and eat only "grain" breads (whole wheat, rye, 5 grain, pumpernickel, etc). I have tried some 'fried chicken' twice (in two years) and felt sick each time I had it, so I refrain. But I have been able to eat fried calamari without problem (probably because of the lighter batter and being friend in EVOO).

Some Doctors/Nutritionists will tell you to stay away from fruits, certain vegetables (IE celery, lettuce - especially in the beginning; etc. I would suggest talking to yours for their recommendation.

Finally, you will learn that there will be certain foods you cannot tolerate. It could as simple as bread, or chicken, or it could be you can eat broiled chicken but not baked chicken. I was told to "play baseball" with foods. If you find you cannot tolerate a food, wait a month or so and try it again. If you still have problems wait about 3 months and try again.  If you still have issues, then most likely you cannot tolerate it - so it's 3 strikes, and it's out !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
BooLicious
on 2/8/10 12:37 pm - PA
Tom's post is pretty spot on.  So much is trial and error.  I try to give my banded friend some of my meal plans and they won't work for her cause she can't tolerate half the foods I eat.  So, you just have to go slow and try things and see what can and can't work.  I have found nothing that I can't eat, but if there was one it would be London Broil.  I can eat all other red meats, but that one makes me work and focus a lot more.  So, it's not worth it.  Anyway, you will get it straight and of course always listen to your Dr.  :)

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Most Active