Distance from the Doctor

SWJ_81
on 2/7/10 5:23 am - AR
For those who have had expereince with the band-

I live over two hours from the nearest bariatric surgeon.  Would anyone recommend/not recommend having the band considering how far I would be from my doctor?  That is one of my MAJOR concerns.  Do you have to visit your doctor often? 

cdisanti
on 2/7/10 9:19 am - CA
my doctor is 2 hours away..I see him once a month not bad.. I don't have any problems with it

Tom C.
on 2/7/10 8:22 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Even if my Doctor was 5 hours away, I would still go.

In the beginning, you will be seeing your Doctor semi-frequently. Maybe monthly for the first two months. Now depending how your Doctor does "fills", you may not need to see your Doctor until your need a fill, then a month after (for follow-up). And if you're all ok, then at least once a year afterwards.

As I always say, each Doctor is different, so ask him what is follow-up schedule is.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
(deactivated member)
on 2/10/10 1:07 am
Something to consider is if you have any complications after surgery.  Normally they send you home the same day.  I stayed 2 days due to the fact that I could not take anything in - not even water.  I then had to return a few days later.  My local hospital really did not want to deal with me.
Most Dr.'s prefer you return to the Dr. who did the work.  I live 1 hour from my Dr. and have felt a little "abandoned" at times.  Far away and no one here will deal with any issues.  My Dr. in Boston is amazing though.  Just something to think about.
Most Active