Your Experiences with the Band

SWJ_81
on 2/6/10 11:07 pm - AR
I am currently debating between banding and RNY.  I would love to hear some of the experiences directly from people wth the band.  Do you love or hate it?  Would you do it again?  Have you had any negative effects?  RNY is scary, but if I am going to have to revise in the future or have repetitive surgeries to work on the band- I want to do the right thing (for me) first.  Hearing other's experiences help me see it from all sides.  Thanks!

nkara
on 2/7/10 12:58 am
 Let me be the first to tell you I love my band!  

I'm newly banded as of November 12th and so far no problems. I did have pain after surgery but I felt good after about 4 weeks and now no problems.  I can eat pretty much anything so far with no issues. Salads, veggies, chicken, fish.   I did have one fill so far and I go for a second one end of February.   
I'm very happy that I got banded. It has controlled the quantity of food I am able to eat. If I eat too much or too fast I feel it and I definitely feel full longer than before being banded. 

I wanted to go with the band instead of RNY because of the type of surgery and I wanted to have a tool to help me feel accountable for my eating.

This is my decision and only you can decide for yourself what is right for you. 

Good luck on whatever you decide. 
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Tom C.
on 2/7/10 8:25 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
I love my band, and have NO REGETS !! In two years I've lost 180+ pounds. I don't want to bore folks here, so if you want MY ENTIRE STORY, send me a PM and I will forward it to you !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
MaMa_M
on 2/7/10 8:37 pm - MI
I was banded on Sept. 15, 2009. I have lost 46 lbs so far. I am no longer pre-diabetic and I am off all my blodd pressure meds. I picked the band because I didn't want to rearrange my organs. You do lose slower with the band but the end result should be same. I have very little pain after surgery, was off work 10 days and am able to eat most foods. I was one of those people who felt hungry ALL the time, I now go 3-4 hours without feeling hungry. It is a learning experience, I don't think I REALLY knew what "full" felt like. I now know what I thought was "full" was really OVER full. I would do it again in a heartbeat!
MaMa M

BooLicious
on 2/8/10 12:45 pm - PA
So far, so good!!  I am happy with my choice.

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Jordiesmama69
on 2/8/10 9:23 pm - Roscoe, IL
I will be 2 yrs post op the end of this month. I have had some issues that are uncommon but regardless would not change my decission to have the band placed! It is a tool to help you, so you have to be ready to work to reach your goals. I am down 200 pounds, and I never dreamed I would be back into wearing a size 16 ever again after starting out this journey at well over 450 pounds!! You will know the right decision for you, no one else can do that part. Best of luck on your journey!
Most Active