Travelling 3 weeks after surgery - Need advice

LillieGracesMom
on 2/3/10 11:01 am
Hi, I'm scheduled to have my surgery on 3/4/10 and will be travelling by plane to Chicago from Virginia three weeks after surgery.  My doc. has already approved the trip, granted I get up and walk around and do leg exercises to prevent clots.  My question is, what food will I be able to eat at the airport?  For example, what if my flight is delayed for hours and I am stuck at the airport and get hungry.  Someone suggested I bring baby food along in my carry-on, but I wonder would I be allowed to bring that since I'm not travelling with a baby and I know that the airlines are strict about what you can and can't bring on a flight.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Heather

Considering_It
on 2/3/10 3:30 pm
I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to bring baby food.  By week three you'll be cleared for protein shakes, right?  I'd bring protein powder with me for sure.  I picked up a divided container made for taking baby formula on the road in the Baby Aisle at Walmart 
You could also purchase individually packaged protein from Unjury, Nashua Naturals, or pick some up at your local nutrition store  I got quite a few samples this way. 
Tom C.
on 2/3/10 10:14 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

My suggestion - call the airline and speak to a MANAGER .. explain about the operation, and what foods are/aren't allowed on board. Maybe they can make a notation on your reservation.

The worst that can happen is you bring the food with you but won't be allowed to bring it on the plane with you.My Doctor gave me a REALIZE BAND card for my wallet, and another card that states I had bariatric surgery. Ask your Doctor if they do that3 weeks you should be into soft foods. Ask about low-fat string cheeses; maybe a bag of tuna (packed in water).

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
LillieGracesMom
on 2/3/10 11:30 pm
Thanks guys for your advice.  I don't feel so anxious about travelling now.

Randy Z.
on 2/4/10 6:45 am - Charlotte, NC
not sure if  you are able to do protein bars yet, but that might be an option. I remember in my 3rd week, I lived off of protein shakes and taco bell plintos and beans.  If you can, peanut butter on some crackers might be a good option.

But please post back on what  you hear from the air lines. I am suppose to be flying in a couple of weeks and was wondering if they would let me bring in some protein drinks. DW bought something similar to an Adkins shake.  But I do know know if I would want baby food. I always heard it has a lot of sugar.
HW 288 --  4/1/09 at 277.8 --  SW 268.8
Realize band 10/19/09

graciemaeryan
on 2/4/10 9:37 am - Atlanta, GA

I flew 14 flights last month and six were O'Hare.

Since I had just had my first fill my concerns were similar.

I ate soup - most airports serve some type of soup.  When I know my protein choices are limited I do order french onion and eat the broth and cheese only - not the onions or breading.

My problem was not drinking enough fluids and got I a little dehydrated.  Skin itched like crazy too.

I say no to the snacks they offer in flight but do have an orange juice to drink, usually drink half of it. 

At O'Hare they have a Chili's and there chicken noodle soup is very good and just the right size.

Hope this helps.
Gracie Mae    

Gloria S.
on 2/5/10 7:02 am - Lexington, MA
On February 3, 2010 at 7:01 PM Pacific Time, LillieGracesMom wrote:
Hi, I'm scheduled to have my surgery on 3/4/10 and will be travelling by plane to Chicago from Virginia three weeks after surgery.  My doc. has already approved the trip, granted I get up and walk around and do leg exercises to prevent clots.  My question is, what food will I be able to eat at the airport?  For example, what if my flight is delayed for hours and I am stuck at the airport and get hungry.  Someone suggested I bring baby food along in my carry-on, but I wonder would I be allowed to bring that since I'm not travelling with a baby and I know that the airlines are strict about what you can and can't bring on a flight.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Heather
I travel all the time.  I went to Euope from So Cal at my fourth week.  Even now in my 4th year I still travel with protein powder, as others have suggested. I have a funny story on my blog about travelling with protein powder at : http://www.gloriasbandedliving.com/maintaining-001-the-role- of-protein-powder-or-i-always-have-a-plan-to-maintain-my-wei ght-loss-especially-when-i-travel-9272009/

Also you can travel with mushies - There is no reason why you can't put whatever mushies you like (e.g thin tuna salad; thin egg salad) in a disposable plastic container and bring it on board.  I've never had a problem bringing that type of food thru airport security.  Carrying food on board is a big part of how I've been maintaining my weight loss while travelling cross-country several times/month.

Let me know if this helps.  By the way, I'd appreciate if you go check out my blog and tell me what u think.  Please sign up for the 7 Things I Wish Someone Told Me Before Lap-Band Surgery (applies to Realize as well) and let me know if you find it useful.  Just started this blog as a way of paying it forward.  I am so grateful for the gift of this tool and all the people who helped me learn to use it.

Banded 8/16/2006; Dr. Billy, Ventura, CA; maintaining since 12/2007

For more lap band inspiration and information visit
www.bandedliving.com

Confused about whether or not surgery is for you, read my book "Is Lap Band Surgery for Me?, available on amazon
Most Active