I need help

noelle64
on 2/1/10 8:07 pm
Good Morning all,  I had my surgery on Nov 24 and have lost 26 pounds....I am so mad at myself because I know I could have lost more up and until this point.....I have not eaten the right amount of food...I will have special k snack bar,,,not one but two.....I eat vanilla  fat free yogurt, which now i am aware that there is alot of sugar,,so i cut that out ....i eat soup, but that does not fill me up .  I will eat popcorn, becasue i can tolerate that...I eat too fast so food gets stuck..so ps...I have been at the same weight now for like two weeks and I am pissed off.  I have an appt. with dr. abkin on the 24 of feb. and I need to lose more weight until then and i hope i can   schedule a fill for then.  Please give me some encouragement...I am ashamed of myself, I have been waiting for this surgery a long long time and now I am totally not following the progam..Just so you know,,I am not eating any junk food,,  but am  hungry all the time.

thanks in advance for your help
MaMa_M
on 2/1/10 8:21 pm - MI
Your weight loss has been very good so far. Don't be too hard on yourself. Your body will go through times when you don't lose. Your body needs to "catch up" to your weight loss at times. I try to measure the amount of food I will eat at a sitting. Eat that slowly, then wait 10-15 min. if you are stil hungry allow yourself a little more. Your brain needs time to register that you are full. Soups will not keep you full as long as solid proteins. The most important things at this stage are to get in all your protein and fluids. Keep up the good work, it is a slow process but worth it.
MaMa M

Tom C.
on 2/1/10 11:49 pm, edited 2/2/10 2:06 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Noelle, be proud of the weight you have lost so far. It's a great accomplishment. Now also be proud you have noticed some foods you are eating aren't correct, and you have the strength to change it.

The following is MY OPINION of the food you're eating. Not saying I am correct or not, but it's MY OPINION and take it for what it's worth (yes I know that opinions are like **** Of course, always ask your Doctor and/or Nutritionists before changing your eating habits.

Special K snack - while I say away from all these types of bars (they remind me too much of candy) if do want one try having something that has more protein (no more then 24 grams) and little carbs (around 5). PROTEIN is the KEY to STAYING FULL

FAT FREE (non-fat/no SUGAR added) Yogurt is VERY GOOD for you. Greek Yogurt has more PROTEIN. Remember the "sugars" are "natural / unprocessed" sugars (because of the milk). This type of sugar is 'better' then refined (table) sugar.

Soups, while good in the beginning, doesn't have too much PROTEIN to keep you full. And since it's mostly "liquid" you will 'expel' it quicker then a 'solid'. Have something more solid to eat.

Popcorn is an ok choice. Have it occisionally, and be careful what type you get. "prepackage / microwave" type can be fatting. You can make your own "microwave" style by buying the kernels themselves, and putting  them in a brown paper bag with a (eye) "drop" of water and sealing the bag with scotch tape - place in microwave. You can also add "ingredient' to it to "jazz" it up. I sometimes put chili powder in it, or garlic powder, or cinnamon (which gives a kettle corn taste).

Finally, eat slowly. Studies have show it take 25 minutes for the stomach to tell the brain it's full - so it doesn't depend how much volume you have. Within 25 to 30 minutes you're brain will think it's full. I still use a stop watch when eating. I put a piece of food in my mouth and wait a full minute before I put another piece in. This way a "small meal" lasts a good long time ;D

Finally, find a support meeting. You will get some helpful hints, and will also help you remain focused and/or get over these "side tracked" times.

Know I am here if you need. Feel free to PM me, and we can "chat" anytime you like !!

Good luck on your journey !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
noelle64
on 2/2/10 2:02 am
thank you so very much...that is g reat advice and I learned something.....fat free yogurt is ok..I do eat greek yogurt with wheat germ but i really love the ff vanilla yogurt with wheat germ...... I believe I have more info now to continue on my journeyl...

thanks

noelle
Tammy G.
on 2/2/10 12:10 am - Indian Trail, NC
These guys have given you great advice but I'll add one more.   GET MOVING.   Eating is only 1/2 the game at this point.   Exercising is going to help you as well.     
noelle64
on 2/2/10 2:03 am
Thank you so much...I have been good with my workouts, but of course there are t;hose days when i could find any excuse to work kout ......I am doing belly dancing right now.."IN MY OWN HOME...thank you very much.

noelle
nkara
on 2/2/10 4:35 am
 Here is a Bariatric Food Guide Pyramid from my NUT.  I was eating mostly 90- 95% protein and she said that I need to add variety.  I hope this helps.

Protein 6-7 servings:
ex: 1/2 cup cooked beans, 6 - 8 oz yogurt, 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 1 egg, 1 oz cooked lean meat, poultry, fish or cheese, 8 oz non fat milk or 1/2 c tofu

Fruit 2 servings:
ex: 1 1/4 cup berries, small banana, 1/2 cup canned fruit, 17 grapes, 1 cup melon, 1/4 cup dried fruit, 2 Tbls raisens

Vegetables 3 servings
ex: 1 cup raw vegetables, 1/4 cup cooked vegetables

Grains/Starchy vegetables 3 - 4 servings
ex:  3/4 cup whole grain cereal, small potato, 1 slice whole grain bread, 1/3 cup whole grain rice or pasta, 4 high fiber, low fat crackers, 1 small whole wheat pita bread

Fat 3 servings
ex: 1 tsp oil, 1 tsp margarine, 1 tbsp lite mayo, 1 tbsp seeds, 1/8th avacado

I hope this helps you and anyone else who needs it.  

Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

noelle64
on 2/2/10 5:42 am
thanks so much...it sounds so easy doesn't it...Why is it th at it can be so hard.
Most Active