2 Questions for Banders??????????

grn_eyz74
on 1/23/10 2:47 am - TX
VSG on 01/31/15
Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to this site and I am still in the "education" stage of learning about all wls procedures until I make my final decision, while awaiting getting approved for my insurance. I am wondering 2 things, and no I haven't looked online, I decided to try to get the answers directly from the horses mouth, so to speak.....(not calling anyone an animal btw just using that metaphor).

1. I know with the LAP Band there is a port that sits right under the skin for fills, but from what I've seen of the realize band its doesn't have one? So how do you get your fills?

2. I know with RNY and the DS you have to take daily vitamins and nutritional supplements for the rest of your life. Is this the same with the Realize band and Lap Band?

I have been doing little bits of research on all WLS for about 8 years now. I'm really torn because there are pros and cons to all of them and I feel like I'm running in circles a bit when I try to narrow down the one I want. I just want to make sure I am 100% comfortable with my decision, no matter how many questions I have to ask.
~Susan~ 

Elizabeth C.
on 1/23/10 4:40 am - Statesville, NC
VSG on 06/06/12
I have the realize band now for the last 8 weeks and actually still waiting to get my first fill but there is a port and like the Lap Band it sits under muscle tissue with metal clamps instead of being sewen in like the Lap Band.  I have no regrets, but I did 2 years of research before making a decision, after going to the informational meeting at the surgeons office I knew I did not want the RNY due to the malasporbtion and I did not want my insides cut up and rearranged.  But everyone makes their choice for their own reasons.  i still have to take multivites and calcium daily, as your not eatting a lot in the first several months.

Good Luck in your decision and any more questions feel free to ask.

Elizabeth
 With the power of God I can do all things!!           
Highest: 320  Surgery:  247  Current: 183 Goal: 145                        
hopeful and happy
on 1/23/10 6:50 am - Skinnytown, MA
The Lap-Band and Realize Band are almost identical (like Coke & Pepsi)-- it is really a matter of your surgeon's preference, as the only few differences have to do with how the band is surgically placed. I have 2 fills and 2 unfills, already, and it it really is no big deal. It hurts just for the second when the needle goes in (a pinch like a shot), and then it's over.

Band patients do not have the same malabsorbtion issues that the other surgeries have, however, because of the little amount that we eat in a day, it is still important to take vitamins, so we are sure we've gotten in all of our nutrients, daily.

Best of luck with your decision! I know it can be a hard one... I don't think there is one type of surgery that is best for everyone-- figure out which surgery best fits your lifestyle, realistically, and go for it!

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/10 9:28 am - Elkhorn City, KY
HI everyone,

I researched for 2yrs. and the realize band is right for me. I am waiting for approval. Good luck to you.

Most Active