Itching, Swelling, redness oh my

Kelslaw
on 1/17/10 1:57 pm
So I have had some issues.  Pain has not been one of them, well at least not in the beginning. 

1.5 weeks out I got a blister under my biggest incision.  My son (3 years) threw a tantrum b/c he didn't want to take a nap and pushed me in my stomach.  It popped the blister.  I didn't realize what happened at first because it didn't really hurt but I felt wet.  I knew he had just gone to the potty with my MIL so I asked if his hands were wet from washing them.  He said yes, so I assumed that was the wetness.

After getting him down for a nap I went to the bathroom to have a look at my incision.  It looked like some of the adhesive had been pulled down.  Thought nothing of it.  Then it started hurting and I noticed some blood.

I called my doc and they had me come in the next day for my 2 week check up to see if it was infected.

At the appt doc said it wasn't infected but I was very sensitive to the adhesive and steri strips they used and that basically it gave me a second degree burn.  That was the reason for my blister.  Three of the five incisions hadn't even closed up b/c they couldn't heal under the steri strips with all that irritation.   She told me to leave it uncovered to air dry for two days and it should be fine.

Then on Tuesday last week (2 weeks post surgery) I started itching and was getting red circles around the insicions (not where I was scratching though).  It got worse, like poison ivy or chicken pox itching so I called.  They said it was normal and I could take benedryl or put hydrocortizone on the incision.  I did both and still itching.  I have been ready to tear my skin off.  Still not scratching on my incisions as I am scared to open them up.  The red circles have gotten HUGE>  LIke going from 2 in in diameter around the biggest one to 3-4 in to today (3 days shy of 3 weeks) 7-8 in in diameter.

When I called on thursday they called me in a prescription for an antibiotic because I told them how red I was and that it was getting more and the red area was super hot and I was still itching really bad. 

I go tomorrow for a follow up.  The antibiotic hasn't helped any.  The benedryl/hydrocortizone only take the edge off.  I am doped up on benedryl and am soooo tired as a result.

Has anyone had these issues before.  I know itching is normal in the healing process but my gut feels this is something way worse.  My biggest worry is that something is wrong with the band/port or my body is rejecting it.  I would hate to go through all of this and it not work.  No other WLS surgery is an option for me. :(

Begin Pre-Op diet at 292--End Pre-Op diet at 277
Post-Op weight 277
Goal weight 175
Goal 2 weight 150        
nkara
on 1/18/10 2:36 am
 I wouldn't be too concerned with your band/port being a problem. It just sounds like a topical issue with an allergic reaction from the closing of your incisions. It took me about 5 weeks before mine were closed completely and all the glue fell off on it's own. I didn't pull at it because I am very sensitive and allergic as well and didn't want to irritate it.   You might be allergic to all the creams they are trying on you as well?  

I hope they can clear it up for you soon so you can stop the itching.  
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

juliatettleton
on 1/18/10 7:01 am - Arlington, TX
My body hated the glue too. I didn't get a blister, but my Dr gave me a prescription cream that has a steriod in it that helped ALOT. I also had a rash in my belly button that was a yeast infection caused by the incision. I just put athletes foot cream on it and it got better fast. Ask your dr about something better than hydrocortisone or benedryl. Good luck! 

Kelslaw
on 1/19/10 11:20 am
So I thought I would update for any of those following my saga. :)

I went to the doc Monday and it is indeed infected and I didn't respond to the first antibiotic and am now on a stronger antibiotic.  I see my doc again on friday and if it is not cleared then I will be admitted to the hospital.  It is a skin issue right now but if the infection is not taken care of it could get worse and potentially affect my band.  That is why my doc is being so aggresive on this.  I am glad for that.

The itching is seriously like poison ivy or chicken pox.  My entire stomach is now red, bumpy, swollen and hot.  I am being irritated from the itching and trying my best to not scratch.  That is hard.

The horrible part for me, yes, worse than the itching, is what the doc did yesterday.  She thought it may be an issue of liquid accumulating under the skin so she stuck a needle around my biggest incision to see if anything would drain out.  No fluid...good but my lord was that painful.  I was crying, no lidocain to numb it and I felt sore like after surgery all over again.  But 24 later I was better but have a huge bruise where she did it, bigger than golf ball size.  But I understand she had to do it.  Now my only issue is back to the itching.  I am going insane.  Oh and she said just to keep doing the benedryl and that I can take a higher dose.

Will let ya'll know what happens. 

Begin Pre-Op diet at 292--End Pre-Op diet at 277
Post-Op weight 277
Goal weight 175
Goal 2 weight 150        
Most Active