Surgery on Wednesday & I have a cold!

gwins
on 1/11/10 7:00 am
I am scheduled to get my band on Wednesday (2 days from now) and I have picked up a terrible cold over the weekend!  I have been waiting for this day to come for 2 years and can't believe that it now may have to be postponed!  Did this happen to anyone else and did you still have surgery?  I have a super runny nose but am not really coughing (except when the gunk runs down my throat).  Sorry if that is TMI! 

Should I call my doctor tomorrow or just show up on the day of surgery in hopes that he will still do it?   Any advice?
BooLicious
on 1/11/10 11:53 am - PA
It won't hurt to call.  I really hope it don't get postponed.  That will suck, but it will STILL HAPPEN.  :)  That's the most important.  I hope the runny nose don't interfere.  I would think they would have to cancel surgeries all winter if that were the case.  Maybe it will be OK.  My fingers are crossed for you.  GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Kelslaw
on 1/11/10 1:59 pm
I was having terrible allergies the two days leading up to my surgery.  I called and asked if it was okay to take a 24 hour claritin pill and they said yes.  Turns out mine was just allergies.  Worth a try, it may make you feel better.  I would think they could still do the surgery.  If it was the flu then probably not but a small cold I would think would be fine.

Begin Pre-Op diet at 292--End Pre-Op diet at 277
Post-Op weight 277
Goal weight 175
Goal 2 weight 150        
tbines401
on 1/12/10 11:19 am - Columbia, SC
I hope you have your surgery on tomorrow and I wish you well. I had a beginners cold and I was fine the surgery went well.
gwins
on 1/15/10 12:19 pm

I DID IT!  They proceeded with the surgery despite my cold.  I had a bit of a tough 24 hours post-surgery with low oxygen levels so they kept me overnight so just got home from hospital yesterday.

Still have quite a bit of pain but the percocet helps.  Unfortunately, I also had an allergic reaction to the surgical glue (Dermabond) so my incisions are red and swollen but the doctor said it is not an infection.  Nothing to do about that but wait for it to heal.

I have mixed emotions right now.  Glad it is done but a little bit of "buyers remorse" meaning that I am a little scared of what I have done to myself.  Did anyone else have similar feelings immediately post-op?  I think it is just so painful right now and so hard to get anything down - I struggled to drink two protein shakes today.  But I am hoping that I will start to feel better soon and that will lift my spirits as well.

Most Active