addictions

LillieGracesMom
on 1/10/10 6:05 am
I will be having the Realize band surgery in a few weeks.  How do you handle emotional eating once you are banded?  I am a major emotional eater and wonder what others have done to combat this since being banded. 
Thanks for your replies.

Dedi
on 1/10/10 8:13 am
REALIZE Band on 09/03/09 with
I have to think about other things... you will have to learn new habits.  You also need to have a support system in place.  You will need someone to talk to when you feel that compulsion to eat.

Good Luck with your Surgery!!

Dedi

260/243/128.8/130

OneRedKansan41
on 1/10/10 1:17 pm
On January 10, 2010 at 2:05 PM Pacific Time, LillieGracesMom wrote:
I will be having the Realize band surgery in a few weeks.  How do you handle emotional eating once you are banded?  I am a major emotional eater and wonder what others have done to combat this since being banded. 
Thanks for your replies.
Congrats on your decision to be banded. I can't speak for everyone, as everyone is different, but what helps me is talk therapy and exercise.
hopeful and happy
on 1/10/10 9:43 pm - Skinnytown, MA
I was lucky to get a good amount of restriction at my first fill, so I know I am lucky not to have dealt with the "hell" that people talk about between their surgery and restriction.

For me, the band literally stops me because when I emotionally eat, I either feel it backing up in my esophagus or it hurts or I get reflux the next morning. Now when I look at what used to be comfort food, I don't see comfort, I see pain, and my momentary pang leaves quickly. 

Now I am starting to see food as the fuel I need to get me through the day, not a poor substitute for a therapist!!!

nkara
on 1/11/10 12:29 am
 Well emotional eating is something I think most of us deal with prior to and after surgery. I too have restriction after my first fill and just simply can't eat what I used to.  I am making better food choices and when I'm full I stop.  It's not like before where I would just push past the full feeling and gorge myself.  The band is really a great tool for that.  Or at least for me it is.  I also make a conscious decision to eat better, protein, yogurt, cottage cheese.  I haven't really had any breads or pasta.  I'm really full after I eat so I'm satisfied.  
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

crystal M.
on 1/11/10 2:25 am - Joliet, IL
I am an eater...obviously.  I would go so far to say I am a food addict.  I now have 9.7 ccs in my band and I can't over eat, even if I try.  If I eat one bite too much, it comes right back up on me.  So there is some emotional eating but it's a couple of bites and then I can't eat anymore.  Weird thing is I crab all of the time about getting enough restriction but I still kind of miss "pigging out". 
BooLicious
on 1/11/10 11:56 am - PA
Focus on some new outlets and strategies.  Go buy some books, maybe see a therapist if you feel your not getting it under control.  I think just like everything else with this surgery, it's learning and creating a new you with new habits and coping strategies.  It's hard, but you will do it too.  :D 

Good luck on your surgery, that is very exciting!

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Most Active