Have problems with the band...

jenncore
on 1/10/10 5:21 am - MA

I was banded two years ago and have a small band which holds a max. of 4cc. I did well in the beginning with my band but have lost very slowly. I have had several of episodes of getting stuck and not being able to swallow my onw saliva.This happens even after eating things like yogurt!  My surgeon and I have agreed that I am sensitive to fills and can't go higher than 1 1/2 cc's without having serious issues.

I was having pretty significant issues a few weeks ago so my surgeon has emptied my band and I'm scheduled for an endoscopy on Friday morning to see if my band has slipped or eroded.
My experience with the band has been challenging to say the least and I'm really considering having a revision to a bypass but am really confused and conflicted. I follow all of the rules with my band but I just don't think it's the right thing for me. Even with my band emptied I'm still having a hard time keeping things down, things that I shouldn't have problems with like soup.

I would appreciate any thoughts on a revision or if anyone has experienced the same things.

Thanks!

Jenn

nkara
on 1/11/10 12:33 am
 I can't give you personal experience on this just my thoughts.  I am only recently banded and I know how good I feel now.  But if I were to have complications with the band and needed a revision I would definitely do it.  I know I can't keep the weight off by myself and I need a tool to help me.  If that means having another surgery to either put in a new band or having the bypass I would do it in a heart beat.  Hopefully you don't need that and it's only a glitch for you.   

Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

jenncore
on 1/11/10 5:29 am - MA
Thank you for responding. When I chose weightloss surgery I did it because it was a tool, a tool I know that I need and will probably need for the rest of my life. My health does come first and I'm hopeful that I will have some answers on Friday after my endoscopy. I'm really happy that you are doing well. I know the band works well for many people I just don't think I'm one of them!

I wish you the best!!!
Tom C.
on 1/11/10 3:22 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Jenn,

No help here, except wishing you all the best and will be praying for ya.

I do have a suggestion, check the Revision Forum and see what they have to say. My added 2 cents (not that anyone was asking): if for some reason I had to give up the band, I would look into doing the Gastric Sleeve with is like a combo of both the bypass and band. The only thing that make me a little leery is, unlike a bypass, part of the stomach is removed forever, and they "staple" the entire section - and I remember the stapling horror stories from the 70's and 80's.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
jenncore
on 1/11/10 5:33 am - MA
Thanks for the Prayers, I can certainly use it. I chose the band because it was the least invasive surgery. I also wanted my weightloss to be a slow process so I could really have the opportunity to learn how to eat correctly. At this point I just can't continue this way. I am hoping for some answers on Friday from my surgeon after my endoscopy to see what my options are. I will take your advice and check out the revision forum. Thank you for taking the time to answer my post!

I hope things are going well with you and your band!
BooLicious
on 1/11/10 11:57 am - PA
That really stinks Jenn!  I hope you find a solution that makes you happy in the end.  :)  Hang in there!

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

sknd34
on 1/14/10 11:26 pm - West Fargo, ND
It sounds like you are having a lot of the same troubles that I have had with my band. I got banded Jan. 5, 2009. Initially it went very well and then during the summer I had episode where I was to tight, so I got an unfill. Then in August, I needed my port replaced and since then haven't lost much weight (however I have lost a few inches and people are noticing changes). So after the port replacement, we were pretty agressive with the fills for awhile and over Christmas I wanted to be on the snug side so it would restrict me. On Jan. 2, I ended up in the ER with a slipped band. I was throwing up water and had kept nothing down for 2 days straight. On my one year band anniversary (jan. 5, 2010), I was told that the band would need to be removed. They emptied the band this day. On Jan. 9 (this last Saturday), they were able to fix the band in surgery. I think that if anything else were to happen, I would try for a revision to the bypass. I am tired of the problems, just as you are and am ready to see some more results. I have a 9 cc band and was at 5.4 cc when the band slipped.
jenncore
on 1/15/10 1:54 am - MA

Wow, I'm sorry all of that happened. I knew there were risks with the bandng slipping or eroding but I figured it wouldn't happen to me. I had me endoscopy this morning and it turns out my band is too small. I wasn't expecting that, I figured it had either slipped or eroded. My surgeon would like to replace it with a larger band. I'm going to meet with him next week to discuss my options. I also have esophogatis of my lower stomach and will go on some sort of medication that will help ease it.

How are you feeling since your surgery? I hope things are going better. Thanks for responding. It's good to hear from other people who have experienced something similar. Good luck with everything!!!!

Jenn

Most Active