questions questions

teddyp01
on 1/9/10 5:53 am - Monterey, CA
hello everyone. im getting surgery soon , and my sister just got it yesterday. this question is for her. wat can she eat right now? i know this sounds basic, but the papers she got says just broth and stuff for two weeks. she is starving and kinda sick, so did anyone learn any tricks or tips to tell me to get her through this early stage? thanks
teddy 
MISS_YADIRA
on 1/9/10 10:04 am
Hi Teddy, this is Yadira. I had my surgery back on 12/21/09. Luckly everything went pretty smooth for me and except for pain the first couple of days i was fine. When you say sick, what is she experiencing?I was even able to go out to the movies and did  a little walking (slow) on day 3/4.  My diet provided by my nut. included the following (every Dr's are different).
Amounts: 1-2 ounces every 30 minutes
Liquids allowed:
1. fruit juice (limit 10 ozs/day): e.g. cranberry juice, grape juice, diet ocean spray (light juices)
2. unsweetend beverages( work up to 64 ozs/day): e.g. water, decaf coffee/tea, crystal light
3. soup 1-2 ozs 2/day: e.g. swanson chicken broth or vegeteble broth in cartons
4. misc: as needed: slenda, sugar free jello, sugar free eddy's fruit popsicles/slpenda
On day 3, i was able to start taking the protein shakes that i got from my nut.

Hope this helps a little. Does she have a nutritionist she can check in with? Mine is great and we can even email/call her with questions at anytime and she will answer  them. So far i am very happy with my decision. I went back to work at the begining of week 2 and was a little slow but not bad. By the begining of week 3 i really felt like i had a lot more energy! Best of luck to both you and your sister!  Yadira

My starting weight back in May 2009 when i started getting reading for my surgery was 296-298 lbs. The friday before surgery my weight was 264lbs.

Tom C.
on 1/10/10 12:18 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Teddy,

When you say "tricks", if you mean "eat something other then prescribed" then that's the wrong thing to do. In order to be successful, you need to follow the Doctor's orders. The reason they want "liquids" is because the stomach has been "inflamed" by the band.

Now, before you (or your sister) do the following, MAKE SURE YOU CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR OR NUTRITIONISTS ...

Here is a list of liquids that My Doctor/Nutritionists recommended for ME:

Water/ice chips
Low-fat broth (chicken, beef, vegetables)
Sugar-free Jello
Sugar-free juices
Crystal Light type flavoring for water
Non-carbonated sugar-free flavored waters
Unsweetened decaffeinated tea
Sugar-free Popsicles

After 3 - 4 days I was permitted to have
Skim (Plus) Milk
Vegetables juice
Low-fat cream soup made with skim milk and strained
Light smooth yogurt (non-fat no sugar added)
Sugar-free fat free pudding made with skim milk
Apple Sauce with NO CHUNKS (sugar-free, natural)
Whipped low-fat cottage cheese

Again CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR/NUTRITIONISTS BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
BooLicious
on 1/11/10 12:26 pm - PA

It's the toughest time in my opinion, but she (and you) can do it.  It's so hard, but so worth it.  Tell her to tough it out!!!  Sounds harsh, but it's for the best. 

Boo

Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Most Active