What happens if you vomit when you have a band?

Considering_It
on 1/7/10 7:58 am
I am asking this because 2 wks ago my entire family was sick, puking for 24 -48 hours due to a norovirus we contracted on a cruise ship.

Amid my excitement today getting the call that I am approved for surgery, I flashed back to how sick I was 2 wks ago, and wondered what exactly happens if you are sick and and banded.  Is it possible to vomit?  If not, do you just dry heave and have pain?

Thanks

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/10 10:47 am
I was banded almost a year ago.  This was always a concern for me since it seems as if at
least twice a year the stomach bug goes through my family.  Well last month I was the one to
get it.  Sorry to be graphic - but is started at one end and moved to stomach cramps.
I heaved and heaved for about 4 hours.  Nothing came up.  It was pretty miserable.  I called my
Dr. office when they opened and they prescribed something to abate the need to vomit.
Interestingly - I guess when your body cannot vomit - it just continues to send it out the other end
but the process takes longer.  My take on it was a normal 24 hour bug lasts a day or so longer this way.  The Dr. then wants to do an upper GI test to be sure nothing was dislodged.  
All in all not a happy event - but I glad to have had it happen and understand what all of this means in my post op body.  Hope this helped.
Most Active