Is this band a gimmick or what?????

BooLicious
on 1/6/10 1:03 am - PA
I would think you could, but I'm not sure.  I ordered it off Amazon for like $9 bucks.  It is 20 minutes, but it's non-stop and it works everywhere.  I have done the first 3 days now and I was sore just about everywhere.  It's 3 minutes cardio, 2 minutes strength and then 1 minute abs and repeats 2 more times.  There is also 3 levels of difficulty. 
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

tbines401
on 1/12/10 2:39 am - Columbia, SC
You have been working your tool I have lost 61 pounds since December and I am loving myself all over again. I hit the gym 5 days a week and I really like going there. I just need a jump start again the weight is coming off too slow now I have 45 pounds to go
BooLicious
on 1/5/10 11:29 pm - PA
Sounds like a case of not enough research pre-op.  Everywhere you read about the band it tells you that it could take months before you even notice it and it can take up to like 6 or more fills for some people.  I know you are frustrated, but just keep at it.  FOLLOW THE RULES, measure and get your protein.  Be sure to drink 64 ounces of water a day.  YOU are the one who works the band and until you get restriction it won't do much.

Also, just an fyi...my 2nd fill made a huge difference in restriction and it was only 1cc.  So, you really never know when you are gonna get it or what fill will be the one.  I still think I need like .5 cc but it really was a big difference.  So, just hang tight. 

In the mean time get yourself educated about the band and what it actually does.  It won't do the work for you, but when you get to a sense of restriction it will help, but it's still up to you to eat the right foods, yield off cravings and life a new healthy lifestyle.

YOU CAN DO IT, so don't loose hope.  I don't think the band is a gimmick at all, it is everything I read it would be before surgery during my research.  I went into this knowing exactly what to expect, except the constipation. LOL  I think being educated on this stuff is one of the most important keys to success cause so many people go into not knowing the process, the lifestyle, the changes and are very disappointed and unprepared to get the most from their band.  So, get yourself educated...that will really really help you in the long run.  Believe in yourself too, I know it's probably hard after so many failures, we've all been there, but we gotta believe we can do it and WE CAN!!!  :) 

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

nkara
on 1/6/10 12:31 am
I can understand where your coming from.  I had my first fill and I do feel restriction but I'm not loosing weight fast.  I'm using the tool I have and trying to figure out what works best for me.  I've heard some bandsters that needed 4 - 5 fills to feel restriction.  I've also heard that some bandsters don't loose quickly until 2 -3  months after surgery.  So I'm hanging in there knowing that it was work it even for a small loss and I'll make it work for me.   
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 1/6/10 2:19 am - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22

I've had 2 fills a total of 5.5 cc.  I still don't feel that I am at the sweet spot yet.  I keep measuring my meals and find myself still hungry.  I have been losing pretty good, but would like to get to the sweet spot soon.  Keep measuring you food and get your water and protein in.  Maybe you should look into getting another fill.  I went to a support meeting last night and the nutritionist it sometimes take 6 fill in the first yr. 

Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

crystal M.
on 1/6/10 2:33 am - Joliet, IL
I'm going for my 6th fill and although, I have restriction I'm still not at my sweet spot.  I still get hungry between meals (my stomach growls and want food).  I still am not satisfied after 4oz of protein and 1 cup of veggies/fruit.  I am hoping that there will be a day when I can't finish that cause I'm so full.  I'm still hoping but starting to get frustrated.
andrea73
on 1/6/10 5:15 am
It could take a while to get restriction.  I really don't have any yet.  The Dr said it could take until April to get there.  I go for my 2nd fill on Monday. 

Get your eating under control and start moving.  You CAN do it!
8.5 CC in my 11 CC Band

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/10 12:44 pm - Ventura, CA
Hey, Margie - I had RNY rather than the band, but one thing they hammered into us is that both procedures are TOOLS and it is up to you to use the tool properly.  If you find your portions are outsized, measure everything until you get a better handle on it.  Pretty soon, you get to know the right size by sight.  They also tell us that using a baby spoon/fork helps.  Eat slowly and without distractions and watch the clock.  I don't know if timing is as important for band patients as it is for RNY, but I know if I eat too fast I get VERY uncomfortable after about 10 minutes.  Start out with about 1/2 cup of anything as a serving and work your way up.  If you eat that then wait 20 minutes to see if you are still hungry, I'll bet those numbers will start falling again.
tommiejean_27
on 1/7/10 12:55 am - Sherwood, AR
Just give it some time!!!  I remember being soooooo discouraged bc I could NEVER get restriction!!  I finally got restriction after a 11 months and it makes such a difference!!  I have 9.7 cc's in my band and have now lost 75 pounds!!  I feel great and workin on my last 32 pounds now!!!  Be patient!!  Good luck! 

~tommie
relawson
on 1/7/10 1:48 am - Vandalia, OH
Tommie, even though you didn't get restriction until 11 months, did you still lose weight? I am now at 3 months after surgery and just got another fill today to 9 cc's. Today is the first day that I feel any restriction. I hope that this is the beginning for me.  I have been very frustrated as well as others that I read about. . .
Most Active