SURGERY TOMORROW....?"s

KCN
on 1/4/10 10:51 am

Hi!  My husband is being banded tomorow!  Yeah!  We are both excited, but today his surgeon told him that he would not have any restriction until around the third fill.  This did not sound right to me.  (I had RNY, so I have no clue) But, I am drawing my conclusions from what I have read on the boards so far. 

So I guess the big ? is : WHEN DID YOU FEEL RESTRICTION AFTER YOU WERE BANDED?

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kris
Kim U.
on 1/4/10 11:44 am
 For me restriction has come and gone a few times. I'm going in for another fill tomorrow and if I'm counting right I'm on like my 6th fill and at 7.5cc in my 11cc band. Everyone is different as to when they hit this thing called restriction. But even when I'm not really feeling restriction I am still not able to eat very much at one time. For me the restriction is more the feeling to have me slow down while eating and I do feel full longer between meals when at good restriction. But don't let him freak out too much about having or not having restriction. 
199 here I come! 

BooLicious
on 1/4/10 12:12 pm - PA
Yep, that is completely normal.  While he is recovering he should get online and read read read as much as he can so he is informed and prepared for this process.  It isn't instant and it will take some work on his part.  A few people will have restriction right away, but I wouldn't count on that.  I have never been truly starving for any length of time but will have a day here or there, which I have found odd.  Restriction has come and gone and while I may not be at my sweet spot I am definitley restricted and it makes a huge difference.  I have 5 cc's in my band so far.  I love my band, but I was very prepared and informed going into this so I knew exactly what to expect.  I wish him all the luck!!!  :)

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Kelslaw
on 1/4/10 1:28 pm
FIrst off, immediately after surgery he will have restriction simply because he is swollen from surgery.  As that lessen over the next few weeks so will the restriction.  My doc doesn't do a fill until around the 6th week after surgery usually.  I have heard many people saying that you have to basically use willpower to make it through that time but I have also heard some that keep that restriction from the initial band placement for quite some time.  It is very individual.

I suggest him read up on all of this...something to do while recovering :)  I am reading a great book right now.  I was very much prepared for surgery as I am a research type person (hardcore) and still there are things I am finding new from this book.

I don't have it with me right this second but I believe it is called, Everything you need to know about Gastric Banding Surgery: Before and After Surgery.  By Dr. Sewell. I could be wrong but search on Amazon and you will find it.  VERY INFORMATIVE.

Good luck to him on his surgery tomorrow.  Things will go great I am sure!

Begin Pre-Op diet at 292--End Pre-Op diet at 277
Post-Op weight 277
Goal weight 175
Goal 2 weight 150        
Tom C.
on 1/4/10 10:38 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
EACH PERSON IS DIFFERENT, so everyone feels restrictions at different times.

For most, there will be some restriction just out of the operation due to the fact the stomach has swollen because of the operation.

As for how many fills it will take to feel restriction, again EACH PERSON IS DIFFERENT - plus it also depends HOW the DOCTOR does the fill. A patient who's Doctor's does a fluoroscope fill may feel restrictions quicker then a patient who's Doctor's does a 'blind' (poke and hope) fill. How long the restriction last is also different from person to person.

Hope I helped answer the question. Keep us posted !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active