Okay I start purees tomorrow but need to know how much

Kelslaw
on 1/4/10 1:22 pm
CAn't find the answer anywhere in my lap band literature!!!

I am going to start with applesause tomorrow.  Very excited :)

How much of these pureed foods should I be doing?  I can get a lot more liquids in me than right after surgery.  Was doing 3-4 oz but mainly around 3 oz and feeling fine, just had to do it slowly.

I just don't want to overdo it.  I know, listen to my body but I do good with limits so I want to know what the general limit is for oz eaten ie each meal of the 3 meals in the pureed foods stage should be no more than X amt.  Thanks.

Begin Pre-Op diet at 292--End Pre-Op diet at 277
Post-Op weight 277
Goal weight 175
Goal 2 weight 150        
Tom C.
on 1/5/10 12:36 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
I would strongly suggest to speak to your Doctor or Nutrionists for proper advice .. with that said, I had no "limit" of how much I could eat as long as I stayed within the 60 - 80 grams of protein (daily) my Doctor said I needed.

But I was very cautious how much I consumed, and how fast I ate it. Remember a meal should last you at least 30 minutes.

I hope that answer your question
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
BooLicious
on 1/5/10 1:00 am - PA
I was doing a 1/2 a cup on purees, along with protein shakes.  However, I agree you should call your Dr. and ask them.  I am sure it will be a quick answer from them! 

Have fun on puree's!!!  That is such a nice change after all them liquids.  Wait till you get to soft foods...it's like heaven.  LOL

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

nkara
on 1/5/10 1:21 am
 My NUT told me to stick to 1/2 cup at a time.  3 times a day plus protein shakes still.  She also suggested I get a min of 65 grams protein a day.  Definitely talk to your Nutritionist or Doctor to get exact guidelines because they are all different. 
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Kelslaw
on 1/5/10 6:39 am
NUT and I were apparently playing phone tag most the day.  He told me to visualize a can of mints, crap can't think of the name anymore b/c I don't eat that kind, but you know the popular brand name mints that have various flavors that come in a rectangular tin that fits nicely in your purse.

That is how much he said I should eat for the four weeks.  Geez, that seems very small.  Though I only got 1/3 of that down today.  It kinda felt like it was stinging going down, hard to describe.  I was able to do it but felt weird.  He said I either I had more swelling than average or more than likely, and I think this is more the case, I am just very sensitive to my body and it's reaction.  I have always been that way so it makes sense.

So that is all the purees I got in today :)  I think I am going to have chicken and stars tonight.  I know it has carbs but I am sick of everything else.

Oh and I told him I was currently only getting around 40oz of the 65oz of protein that he wants me to have and he said at this point it was okay and gave me a recommendation for a brand of protien powder that I can add to my soups that wouldn't make it super thick like a drink/smoothie.

Thanks for the help.

Begin Pre-Op diet at 292--End Pre-Op diet at 277
Post-Op weight 277
Goal weight 175
Goal 2 weight 150        
BooLicious
on 1/5/10 11:56 am - PA
Wouldn't it have been so much easier if he just told you a serving size.  Anyway, I know what mint your talking about ... the "curiously strong" ones.  I would bet that is a 1/2 cup.  I did what nkara did.  3 servings of 1/2 cup of pureed a day and then some protein shakes at other times.  You will figure it out and what works for you. 

I remember it feeling weird the first time I ate foods too.  Your so carfule and nervous at the beginning.  I am actually sensitve to my band too, per my Dr. and it don't surprise me either.  So, hopefully the band itself will give you some restriction or it won't take you many fills. 

I pureed some chicken with some light hellmans and made a little chicken salad.  It was good and I was so tired of soups.  It was total mush, but it still had the flavor.  Get like a rotisserie chicken if you dont' want to cook a breast up.  Just an FYI for when the soups and puddings make you wanna gag.  :D 

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

marypatf
on 1/9/10 12:05 am
 The initial puree on my info packet is 1/4 cup...  I am not sure how long for...

HW-272, PreOp Diet Start-269, SurgWeight-256,                                               CurrentWeight 189. 

Most Active