What should I expect from restriction?

jlpettas
on 1/4/10 3:12 am - Cumming, GA
I have had 5 fills, just called to schedule my 6th.  I am wondering if I am expecting too much from the band.  Should the band physically restrict how much food you eat?  Or, should you fix yourself one cup of food and stop?  I am working on stopping eating when I begin to feel full, but years of making sure I cleaned my plate (after all, there are starving children in Africa!), that is a hard habit to break.  I see other people losing weight much quicker then I am, and at support group meetings I hear people talk about how little they can eat now.  I can eat a foot long sub if I wanted to (I don't want to, but you get what I am saying here.)  I need some feedback from people who have had the band and can give me an idea of what is a realistic expectation.  I think that I am an exception to the rule.  It would be nice to know that another fill or two, and I will have what my mind thinks I should have for restriction.  What do you feel with restriction?  Do you get sick if you eat more than your band will allow?  Do you simply make yourself stop after eating a cupful?  What should I expect from my sweet spot?
wildheart63
on 1/4/10 3:27 am - IL
i am at 8.4 in my 9cc band so i am at beautiful sweet spot restriction. i have been since the end of september. i can only eat about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food and i am done. if i went one bite over i would be in trouble. so i don'y. i know when i am full by  a hiccup or a hiccup/burp most of the time, but i just know now how much i can eat. it is a learning curve, everyone is different. talk to your surgeons office and make sure they know what you have in there,(flouro) . it is a hard habit to break but you have to in order for the band to help you do it's job....it can;t do it alone you have to help, walk away after a cup and see what that does,drink water before hand to fill up a little....but most of all talk to the office and see what they have to say.
Lori

BooLicious
on 1/4/10 12:16 pm - PA
I am not really hungry but can eat more then the 1 cup they say so it always makes me wonder if I should just stay where I am at till my resolve runs out.  I don't know.  I could never eat a foot long though, so based on that, I would say you need another fill.  :) 

I do measure my foods out on my plate cause if there is more then what I allot myself I know I will eat or pick at it.  I would definitely only put what you want yourself to eat on your plate, anything more is just torment it sounds.

I have good restriction though I think.  My hunger is normally pretty good, I am following my diet again (after a 2 week holiday hiatus) and I am losing.  You should be able to eat and feel satisfied and not really feel hungry.  Some days I have to add food just to make sure I have ENOUGH calories.  It is a great feeling!  You will get there!

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Most Active