Is the realize band and lap band one in the same.

aprilrgreer
on 1/3/10 10:20 pm - springfield, MO
I am looking into my options.  Thanks for any in put.
Tana10732
on 1/4/10 12:11 am - Thomasville, NC
Hi, April.  They are very similar in how they assist you in losing weight.  The LapBand has a smaller port but it is raised taller than the Realize.  I believe they also place it on your side rather than in the center of your chest like the Realize.  The port on the Realize is flatter and bigger around.  My surgeon stated that it is easier for fills because it is easier to locate.  Also, the LapBand has "pillows" where the saline fills to tighten your stomach, the Realize does not, theirs is flat and circular.  (Kinda hard to describe)  My surgeon would not suggest one over the other but did state that the port was easier to find and patients have told him the Realize doesnt exert as much pressure around the stomach. 

I think it is more of a personal preference but both assist you in losing weight. 

3cc on 12/10/09, 0.8cc on 1/25/10, 1.0 cc on 3/15/10, 1.0 cc on 4/28/10, 0.2 cc on 6/16/10, 0.7 cc on 8/26/10, 0.8 cc on 10/15/10, 1.0 cc on 3/17/11 and 0.3 cc on 6/9/11.  8.8 cc in my 11cc band

HW 258/SW 242/CW 170/GW 140

Randy Z.
on 1/4/10 8:42 am - Charlotte, NC
My surgeon would not recomend one over the other, but he did have his opinion of which one he thought was better.  Not sure if you have seen a surgeon yet, but they can show you the difference, at least mine had both there.  I chose the Realize due to it's slimness. Less sharper edges on the band it self, but mostly due to the thinner port. But they really both do the same.

And as Tana said, Doc. B said the Realize port was easier to hit with a needle and with his big hands, that was the selling point for me... ( He seemed to agree with that...)  :)
HW 288 --  4/1/09 at 277.8 --  SW 268.8
Realize band 10/19/09

Kelslaw
on 1/4/10 1:40 pm
I don't see much difference really.  It was a matter of preference for my doc.  She just slightly prefers the realize band over lap band.  She said she would decide during surgery which she would put in but most likely it would be the realize band.  :)  I thought that was funny.  She did not mention liking it because of it shape or ease of fill.

I just wanted to mention one thing that had been mentioned already about the placement.  Mine was placed on my left side as well, not the chest so really that is up to the doc not the type of band.  Or at least that is the case here.

Good luck in your decision!  Also, don't know about lap band but realize band has a great support site for after surgery.  www.realizemysuccess.com

Begin Pre-Op diet at 292--End Pre-Op diet at 277
Post-Op weight 277
Goal weight 175
Goal 2 weight 150        
Tom C.
on 1/4/10 10:40 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Everyone gave excellent answers !!

The quick way I tell it .. it's like the difference between a Honda and a Toyota. They both do the same thing, just a little differently.

Bottom line, either one is great as long as you follow the rules !!

Good luck on your decision !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
aprilrgreer
on 1/4/10 11:30 pm - springfield, MO
Great Big Hug and Thank You to everyone *****plyed.  God Bless you in your jurneys
Most Active