Difference between "stuck episodes" and "restriction"

dmstear
on 1/2/10 12:57 pm
I get alot of stuck episodes- does this mean I am too tight? I can eat just as much as before surgery, but if I don't chew well or eat to fast i get stuck. I am trying to undersatand- when I am at my "sweet spot", does all the food sit on the top part of my stomach? So when I am stuck, is that because the band isn't quite tight enough so it's starting to fall down but gets stuck? PLEASE help
Kelslaw
on 1/2/10 3:30 pm
 I could be completely wrong in this since I am so new to the band but if it is getting truly stuck then you either are too tight or not chewing your food well enough.  Or even you can't tolerate certain foods anymore and need to stay away from them as to not cause an episode.

If your band isn't tight enough you should be able to eat more and not have "stuck" issues.  When food is stuck it is above your band in the small pouch.  If it gets through the band because it is loose then it isn't really an issue b/c it moves into your lower stomach which is much bigger.  

I would say, again not for sure, that if you are able to eat as much as before then it isn't a matter of restriction but more you not taking small enough bites and/or not chewing them up enough.  If the restriction was good or too much you would not be able to eat much even if you wanted to.

Begin Pre-Op diet at 292--End Pre-Op diet at 277
Post-Op weight 277
Goal weight 175
Goal 2 weight 150        
Randy Z.
on 1/2/10 4:52 pm, edited 1/2/10 4:52 pm - Charlotte, NC
When the food gets stuck, it gets trapped in the band. I would almost guess that is from not chewing it well enough.  I worked with a health coach for about a year - most of it prior to surgery. I never understood the chew it well meant, until I heard her say to chew it to applesauce consistancy. But if you can do that, then it will probably rarely get stuck.. My NUT states to cut the pieces up to about the size of what is showing on a pencil eraser. Guess that for those that do not chew their food very well.

But I have ruled several foods out just because they aren't worth the effort to chew. Last night, we went out with friends and I chose spagetti. Believe it or not, that may go on my do not eat list. It takes a lot of effort to get not so well cooked spagetti noodles down to applesauce consistancy.. lol..

I have been banded for over 2 month and have only had one episode with food. I was eating too fast and had some soft bread. I think the bread clumped up and pluged the hole for a while and since I was eating pretty fast, I started getting sick. Last night was the first time I had bread since that time. I ate it pretty slow..  Also NUT said bread is ok if you toast it.  Reason for not eating bread is no matter how well you chew it, it can still clump together and block the band. Toasting it will lessen the chance that will clump.

Hope this helps some.

Randy

HW 288 --  4/1/09 at 277.8 --  SW 268.8
Realize band 10/19/09

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/10 12:14 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Sounds like you may not be chewing enough. You need to keep the bites small and chew, chew, chew and you cannot hurry a meal or it will get stuck. Over time you will know what needs done and where you are at with your "sweet spot".
nkara
on 1/3/10 12:34 am
It does sound like you need to chew more and eat slowly.  I've been chewing a lot but some times, especially at work I eat fast and I feel it.  It just feels like a bowling ball on my chest.  I had one fill and I do feel restriction.   I just need to figure out how to deal with eating at work.  I'm a CNA so it's hard for me to get a break at a normal time and to be able to sit and eat slowly is another issue.  
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

dmstear
on 1/3/10 10:12 am
Thanks everyone. I am still tyring to figure out that when I am at the proper restriction, will the food just sit above the band? Thanks
Most Active