Am I supposed to feel this way??

Kelslaw
on 1/1/10 1:45 pm
 I don't know if it is the added pressure from having the hiatal hernia repaired or what but I still can't get my goal of 64 oz o liquids in.  Yesterday I managed to squeeze in 51 oz and today only 45.5 oz.  I am only drinking as much as I can.  

This is pretty much what I did today.  Even with this I have major tightness in esophagus area and shoulder pain.  I feel somewhat that fullness feeling but still starving if that makes sense.  I don't see much else coming in me.

2 oz of Atkins Vanilla Protein drink
waited 30 min then had 8 oz water that I sipped on for the next two hours

2 oz of Atkins drink again
water same as above

Combo of Cream of chick, cream of onion, and cream of cheese with milk and water blended
2 oz

water that I couldn't even finish 8 oz of in 5 hours

for dinner I had the rest of the vanilla protein drink and added some whey protein powder to up the protein count.  very full after wards.

Glass of skim milk after a walk around my neighborhood. 2oz

Whatever it was it totaled to 45.5 and I am so uncomfortable.  I just feel so much pressure in my chest and that area.  Still having some gas issues too.

Question 2: is it okay to burp?  I feel like I need to burp a lot and am scared too.  I don't want to hurt my band and it kinda does hurt my esophagus area to burp as well.  But a lot of times I feel like I need to burp but can't.  It really is uncomfortable and I don't know if what I am feeling is normal or not.

Thanks,
Kelly

Begin Pre-Op diet at 292--End Pre-Op diet at 277
Post-Op weight 277
Goal weight 175
Goal 2 weight 150        
snedly318
on 1/1/10 4:18 pm - Mine Hill, NJ
Kelly,

The gas and shoulder pain you are feeling is very common follow laparoscopic surgery.  My shoulder killed me for about a week! 

It is expected that it may be difficult getting your fluid in initially.  Just keep trying to work up to that 64 ounces.  It does appear that you need more protein.  I suggest protein water or K20 which is special K water or more of your protein shakes or Isopure clear protein drinks (found at health food stores, the Vitamin Shoppe and GNC).....water is great but initially fluid protein is better and does count toward your 64 oz minimum. 

I am now 5 weeks post op and I get about 2-3 liter of fluid in, but that's because I have had kidney stones and am not going back there again so getting dehydrated isn't an option for me. 

I don't know about burping, but it is important that you do not vomit because it could cause band slippage which is an indication for reversal of the surgery.

You are doing great!!!  Keep drinking and keep walking!!!!

Best wishes,
Snedly318
Snedly318
Kelslaw
on 1/1/10 4:24 pm
 thanks

I like that protein water and will go get some later today.  I just don't see at this point how I can get more than one atkins drink down (11oz total= 15 oz protein.  Ahhhh.

Off to GNC tomorrow too :)

Begin Pre-Op diet at 292--End Pre-Op diet at 277
Post-Op weight 277
Goal weight 175
Goal 2 weight 150        
Happymomma
on 1/2/10 12:56 am - Indianapolis, IN
My NUT said the protein has to follow the 5 10 15 rule.  No more that 5g fat, no more 10g fat, and atleast 15g of protein per serving.  Make sure the adkins has that.  It makes it alot easier to get your protein in, which is more important than the water and will help you stay fuller longer.  And you will have wonderful stomache pangs and growling as your body tries to figure out what the heck you are doing to it.  And yes the protein shake counts as liquid intake too!  Good luck and just ask if you have any other questions.

Banded 12/14/09    
BooLicious
on 1/4/10 12:30 pm - PA
It took me like 2 weeks post op till I could hit 64 ounces.  Now I easily can.  You will get there and it looks like you are doing great!!!

Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Most Active