Port Site protruding and irritated.....HELP

snedly318
on 1/1/10 5:09 pm - Mine Hill, NJ
Hello!!!
I thought I knew it all until I had the band.  I am an RN and know how to spot an infection so I initially didn't worry...

I had the band on 11/24/09 and have since lost 10.5 pounds.  This is a revision surgery.  I originally had a RNY in 2004 and lost 114 pounds.  I gained about 40% and looked into revisions....I sort of didn't qualify for the ROSE procedure b/c my pouch wasn't dilated enough, but my anastomosis was over dilated.  So the surgeon suggested the band to reestablish the restriction b/c I was hungry all the time b/c food was not staying in the pouch to create fullness.

Anyway, things have been going well until about 3 weeks ago I noticed an irritation and slight redness around my port incision.  It was not swollen or tender just skin irritation.  Eventually it became more red and I saw one of my docs.  What he said stunned me:  It could be;
1) cellulitis - treated with antibiotics.  He gave me 7 days of Levaquin. (this is the option I prefer)
2) an indication that there is inadequate perfusion - blood flow - to the port site due to my prior abdominoplasty (I had 7 pounds of abdominal skin removed in 2006) and
3) an indication that the band has slipped.  This means it would have to be removed.  I was so stunned that I could not even ask questions, such as once removed can it be replaced???

Well, the skin irritation didn't improve with the Levaquin (but I got a sinus infection and that got better) so maybe the med couldn't tackle two infections.  I recently started applying cortisone cream to the site and see a very slight improvement.  However today the port site was protruding quite a bit and rather than feeling somewhat flat and like the size of a sweettart it now feels like the size of an apricot.   Please pardon the food examples.

I am going to see the surgeon on Thursday 1/7 for what was supposed to be my first fill, but I am not so sure about that.  I am worried that they will have to remove the band and that all of this will have been a fruitless and emotionally, painfully and financially expensive waste of time.  Most of all, I feel trapped.  I had the original surgery because I needed to get away from obesity and all the associated health problems.  For the same reasons I did the revision - because I felt I was headed back to where I came from and I am simply unwilling to return to that place!!  If the band needs to be removed I don't know what my options are.  I am left with a small pouch but an opening between the pouch and the intestines that is almost as large as the pouch and causes food to pass immediately into the intestines and I never have a feeling of fullness.  This is a physical reality that only surgery can repair and now it seems that that surgery may need to be reversed.  Needless to say I am FREAKIN' out!!!!!!!

So, have any of you experienced anything similar?  How large is your port?  Is it normal to protrude like I described?  If what I am experiencing has been experienced by anyone else it would help tremendously to know. 

Thanks!
Snedly318
Titanium Blonde
on 1/2/10 2:19 pm
Wow, you have certainly "paid your dues".  The port can be replaced, if there is a problem with it.  Also it can be repositioned.  Ask your surgeon about this.  Several people on the lap band forum have had this done.  It is an out patient procedure.  Good luck to you.
Most Active