Curious

KKSUNSHINE
on 1/1/10 10:55 am
I have not yet been banded, however I wanted to see if anyone else out there was like I am prior to WLS.
I have been overweight the majority of my life. I always thought to myself....why can't I just be addicted to something other than food, I would be able to kick the habit.
I have quit smoking, quit caffeine & quit carbonated drinks because I don't need those things to live. Food, I have to have to live. I just wish I didn't have to eat at all & then my problem would be solved. I know this isn't true, I know I have to eat to fuel my body. I hope I am making sense. Anyway, were any of you like this before you were banded. How did you deal with that mindset once you were banded? 
I desire to take care of my body & I know that includes feeding it the right things with or without surgery. Its just the mindset that I am curious about whether anyone can give me some heads up on that.
Happy New Year to all.  
dmstear
on 1/1/10 1:14 pm
I always say the same thing!!! Yes, cigarettes, alcohol0 anything addicitve, I just have to completely give up, but i can stop eating forever. I have had my band for 5 months and hate it. I am not losing ANY weight, and still fill hungry all the time. I would recommend the bypass because it alters the hunger hormones in your stomach and you really do not want/crave food like before. I know a few people who had the bypass and they NEVER feel hungry! I am thinking about a revision and getting the bypass
Happymomma
on 1/2/10 6:52 am - Indianapolis, IN
I say the same thing all the time.  It's like telling an alcoholic they have to drink 3 sm. shots a day but that's it and expecting them to do it.  It's the same with food, it is soooo hard to eat, eat the right things, and only in proportion to lose weight.  It would be so much easier if you never had to eat again!  It has been a journey for me, and I am only 3 weeks out.  I have already lost 19 pounds and 3in from my hips.  It is a harder process because you WILL be hungry and you do have to change the way you look at food.  I chose to get banded because I didn't want something so drastic, or to be out of commision for so long.  Only you can decide which process is best for you, but the bypass isn't easier for everyone.  I know 2 friends that had the RNY only to gain over 1/2 the weight back.  Either way you have to change the way you react to food.  I am reading a book right now called "Emotionaly Eating" and it make alot of since.  Since I am an emotional eater, I would eat regardless of the surgery I had, I am still trying to change that. Read, read, read, bcause the docs don't prepare you for what you will go through or how you will feel after.  I see the same post I posted 2 weeks ago about being hungry all the time on here. Hope this helps.  If you have any other questions or just need support, just ask!         Thanks. Heather

Banded 12/14/09    
BooLicious
on 1/4/10 12:45 pm - PA
I am like 3 1/2 months out and I love my band so far.  I have lost 37 pounds and am very happy with that.  I know it's not bypass loss, but I wasn't expecting bypass loss and am totally cool with losing each week, which I have every single week!!!  That has been the best.  Even through December and some cheating I lost 7-8 pounds. 

It's a different process then any of the others, but ultimately we are all addicted and love food for the same or different reasons, it's our vice.  It really takes wanting it and being willing to make the changes.  Buy some books on obesity, on the band, on weight loss and read read read.  When you really read about obesity and how it's controlled, effects us, effects those around us (good and bad) it really opens your eyes how deep it is.  When you read this I think it gets you in a place to start taking control back over these things.  Does that make sense?  I went into this fully informed and prepared and I know I am gonna do it!!!  You can too, but definitely get yourself ready and prepared, the more prepped you the stronger you will be going in. 

It's hard but you can do it.  One example I can tell you about food addicition was the head hunger aspect.  You know about it and hear about it, but after you get banded and get to like soft foods post op I felt like I experienced head hunger like no other time.  I would make my tiny portions and eat them and be full, but just looking at my plate made me sad.  I didn't need to eat more I WANTED to eat more.  Now 3.5 months later, I still have the head hunger, but I have gotten a handle on it.  I have moments I wish I could have a little more, but it really had gotten so much easier.  I want and need this so bad for myself and my family.  I know if I am gonna be truly happy in life and be the mom I want to be I need to be healhty.  Also, I do NOT want to pass down an unhealthy life and be a big fat mom for my kids and that pushes and pushes me.  Seeing the changes makes it all worth it.  The other thing abou the food portions is you DO get used to them.  At Christmas dinner I ate a little more then normal and looked at my plate like "look at all this food" and like a minute later my mom leaned over and whispered "I can't believe how healthy your plate looks, I am so proud of you".  So, your mind does reset and start to retrain itself.  You have to do the prep work though, follow the rules and believe in yourself.  I think them things are very important. 

You can do it and it's scary going into it, but you really can do it!!!  :D

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

KKSUNSHINE
on 1/7/10 7:35 am

I have made my mind up as far as the type of surgery I am having....I'm having the band done. I have read that its up to the person as to how much each person loses, some lose at about he same rate as bypass, although I know that is rare. I am going to do my part & let the band do its part. I know its a tool & not the end of the journey to weight loss, only the beginning.

I have been working on getting my mindset right since the summer, its a slow process....hard to undo 30 years of thinking certain ways.

I know that I can do this, I have no doubt about it. I know its not going to be easy, but I know I can handle it. I have spent the past month doing nothing but reading all I can on how to deal with surgery & the after effects. I will also go to the library & check out what I can on obesity, thanks for that tip.

Thanks for the comments. Its good to know I'm not alone.

Most Active