Depressed...normal??

realturtlelover
on 12/29/09 2:03 pm - Copeville, TX
REALIZE Band on 12/18/09 with
I am 11 days post op and to be honest, I think I might be depressed. Is it the time of year? Is it that I am bored out of my mind and about to pull my hair out from boredom. Is it that I think this surgery is not working and I might have made a mistake or am I just depressed? I have to admit this is not the reaction I expected to have. I have had NO desire to post, e-mail or even talk on the phone. I don't know what is wrong with me. I am starving! I was not hungry the first few days but the last week has been hell. I am starving. I have nibbled on my daughters/husbands food and seen/felt any change at all. Have I done the wrong thing? Have I made a mistake? Should I have done the full blown gastric bypass. Is this normal? I am at a complete loss. I go to the Dr. on Thursday but only for a two week check and work release. I do not get a fill for another 4 weeks and I am not sure how to feel about this whole thing. I admit I am surprised by this myself. I think I need counseling!
Lisa  //(*_*)\\

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away" George Carlin, Author Unknown
Pixieland
on 12/29/09 8:51 pm - Davison, MI

Hi Lisa,
I think this is a normal part of the process for some people...with that being said, please discuss these feelings you are having with your Dr. at your post op visit.  He will probably have some words of wisdom and comfort to offer.
I think for many of us we expect BIG changes/weight loss immediately after surgery, and what I have learned is that it is going to take time and commitment to this life style choice we have made.
Are you exersizing?  Even a short walk gives me such a mood boost!
Have you gone to any support groups?  I think that being face to face with others who are/have the same experience is a tremendous help and provides a great coping mechanism for sustainability to the life we have!
I don't think you have made a mistake...keep your eye on the prize of good health, renewed self confidence, feeling energized and seeing results!

This is an excellent place for support.  There are many caring, wonderful people ready to offer their advice and experience, so I am glad to see you sharing your feelings.  Hang in there and it will get better and when you start seeing the awesome results...you will feel very motivated and happy you made this choice.

I wish you the best and a Happy, Healthy New Year,
Leslie

My mantra:  Each day is an new opportunity to be happier, healthier and better than the day before.  I will live each day with enthusiam and be thankful for the many blessings that surround me. I will do my best to pay it forward whenever possible

Jennifer R.
on 12/29/09 10:25 pm - Fullerton, CA
Lisa,

About 3-4 days post-op, I had a little breakdown and realized that my comfort was gone. Normally if I was stressed, bored, angry, upset, I could go to food....and suddenly that was gone!! If you are still on liquids or mushies, it can be super stressful and hard to maintain but I urge you to follow your doc's orders to the letter!!

It WILL get better - it WILL get easier, but it is a committment and that means finding other ways to deal with our emotions. Those first few weeks are the worst of it, I promise!!

Jennifer

Courage is not always a lion's roar. Sometimes, it is a small voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Diet Plans

"When you change the way you see things, the things you see will change."

nkara
on 12/29/09 11:12 pm
Oh boy does this sound like me.. I have to admit I felt "depressed" weeks after surgery. I think it's the emotional stress of the surgery plus the anesthesia and everything else you have to adjust to with this surgery.  

It will get better ... you made the right decision... you will be healthier and happier in the new year!   
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

BooLicious
on 12/29/09 11:36 pm - PA
I agree and for me, I think the liquid and mushy phases was just depleting in body and mind.  I felt so sad that I couldn't eat, I was missing food, I was wondering how I would handle never getting to eat whatever I wanted.  It's a process, but I think it's good now looking back because it really made me put things in perspective, especially head hunger.  I remember getting to foods and eating and being full and just being sad that I couldn't eat more even though I was no longer hungry.  It really showed me how dangerous head hunger is and how much our minds do control us.  I think in seeing that it is helping me conquer it, or at least getting a handle on it, recognizing it and trying to get past it.  The first few months are quite a journey!  It is hard and we all deserve a pat on the back for what we have gone through and learned to get healthier.  :)

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

BooLicious
on 12/29/09 11:32 pm, edited 12/29/09 11:38 pm - PA

I went through a phase of sadness about 3 days post op until I got to soft foods.  Then I was good to go.  Also, why do you think the surgery is a failure when you are only 11 days post op and should just be healing and recovering?  Have you not been reading what to expect post op since your previous posts?  What are you expecting?

I think being informed and knowing what is normal and the expectations really are is huge in handling the post op changes.  If we aren't doing our research and know that what is happening is normal, it makes us feel like a failure when we are NOT.  It makes us doubt if things are working, when they are.  The band is not an instant weight fix.  It takes fills to give you restriction.  The loss is 1-2 pounds a week and most people stop losing for a few weeks when they get back to eating normal foods.  It is NOT easy.  It IS hard.  It will take work from you too.  So, go back and read all the posts here and on lapband.  Show and educate yourself so you know that this IS NORMAL...you are NOT a failure. 

I say that because I think a lot of success comes from a mindset.  A mindset of fear, failure and second guessing is not a healthy way to do this.  I know you are still early post op, so your fears and concerns are TOTALLY NORMAL!!!  However, start preparing yourself that you are gonna change your outlook and your mindset too.  Forget about the bypass and don't even 2nd guess again...you didn't get a bypass and you got a band, so go forward and keep getting informed and educated, buy some books on the band, dieting, the mental aspects of obesity.  Take control and take hold and you will begin to embrace this new life.  I know it's hard after being obese so long.  My will power, self esteem and worth was shot.  It sucked and I just hated myself and was just so embarrased of who I had become.  When I got this surgery I said I was throwing that mindset away too because it controlled me and made me sad, made me feel worthless and like I coulnd't really do anything.  While I could still fail, I won't give in to it now.  I tell myself I am worth it even when I feel I don't believe it or feel it.  I just keep saying it and saying it and saying it and it has helped and one day I hope I truly believe it in my heart, but I know the old mindset was just harmful and hurtful to me.  I would never want my daughters to feel that way or say the things I have said to myself to themselves, so I am doing it for them too.  So, start telling youself that too.  YOU CAN DO THIS!!!  YOU CAN DO THIS!!! 

Hang in there!  Sorry, my first post came through short, it punched tab/enter and it sent through before I was done.  Chin up girlie...you ARE gonna do this!

Boo

Boo

Boo

12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc

nkara
on 12/29/09 11:45 pm
 That just reminded me... on Christmas day I was able to eat again. I had a fill on the 23rd so 48 hours after was D day for me.  lol

My mother had dinner and my step-father made pasta, meatballs, antipasto, soup, and chicken.  Well I skipped everything and waited for the chicken. I put two small ... and I mean small pieces on my big plate.  I looked down at this empty plate and looked at my mother and said..
"my plate looks so sad".... we both started laughing and I enjoyed my chicken!  
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

BooLicious
on 12/29/09 11:48 pm - PA
LOL..I was the same way.  I would measure and make my plate and look at my husband like "can you believe this is all I'm gonna eat?".  it's funny now though and it took a couple months but now it looks normal to me, I guess we do adapt to it.  At Christmas dinner I though my plate looked huge and then I looked at everyone elses and was like I guess it's not, it was way less.  Also, isn't it crazy watching how much other people eat.  I guess i have time to do that now with all the freaking chewing I do.  LOL

Boo
Boo

12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc

awelch10
on 1/1/10 3:48 pm - richardson, TX
REALIZE Band on 12/17/09 with
wow, im glad i revisted this forum. i joined a long time ago and  just came back after my surgery. everyone seems to be going thru similar emotions and feelingsof failure. i had my surgery on the 17th and just broke down and cried over the stupidest thing today..i also felt i screwed up by eating something when i wasnt supposed to, i guess it will just take time to get used to a whole new lifestyle and mindset!

Most Active