Protein Shakes

Laura71
on 12/28/09 7:01 am - Sheridan, IL
My name is Laura and I am new to this board. I have looked alot, but I have only posted a couple of times. I am in the process of the 3 month diet for insurance and I have passed all my clearance testing. YAY! I want to get a head start on trying some of the protein shakes, can you guys give me the names of some of the better tasting ones?

Thanks,
Laura
Tana10732
on 12/28/09 10:51 pm - Thomasville, NC
Hey, Laura!  Welcome to the board!  How long do you have to diet before you will be approved for the surgery?  Good luck to you!!!

I liked the Body Fortress from Walmart.  Its really cheap and comes in 4 different flavors: Choc, Cookies n Cream, Vanilla and Strawberry.  I really like the Choc and Vanilla and still use them now to supplement.  I make the choc w/SF choc syrup to make a choc milk and I use the vanilla and blend w/bananas to make a "banana milkshake".  I also like the Nectar Fuzzy Navel flavor.  I like to mix that with Sobe Lean Mango Melon and it is really good. 

3cc on 12/10/09, 0.8cc on 1/25/10, 1.0 cc on 3/15/10, 1.0 cc on 4/28/10, 0.2 cc on 6/16/10, 0.7 cc on 8/26/10, 0.8 cc on 10/15/10, 1.0 cc on 3/17/11 and 0.3 cc on 6/9/11.  8.8 cc in my 11cc band

HW 258/SW 242/CW 170/GW 140

Tom C.
on 12/29/09 12:03 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
love Cytosport products (Muscle Milk Light; Complete Whey Low Fat) - however your taste may vary.

Suggestion, check on line for the different Protein shake companies and contact them to see if they can send you a sample. I hear GNC will give you sample, or if you buy a product and hate it - they will take the return and give you a different product.

Just make sure your protein shake has 20 to 25 grams of protein (no more than 30 grams) and about 5 grams of carbs per serving.

Have a Happy New Year, and hoping your 2010 is a lighter then 2009 !!  
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
nkara
on 12/29/09 12:23 am
 I usually buy EAS Whey protein supplements.  I've also tried the Muscle Milk Light and Myoplex Light as a pre made protein supplement.  

I would suggest going to www.vitalady.com and you can order samples for only a couple of dollars to try them all. 

I agree with GNC too. You can buy a supplement and try it and if you don't like it they will take it back and you can use the store credit for a different one.  Plus they offer discounts if you have a Gold Member card.  

Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

BooLicious
on 12/29/09 1:54 am - PA
Hi Laura!  Welcome to the board and coming out and posting.  I use the Unjury shakes.  Right now I do a chocolate (with skim milk) in the am and a chicken soup (with water) one in the evening as a night time snack.  They are good.  They have sample packets you can buy too to make sure you like it before buying a tub. 

Good luck and these 3 months will fly by!!!! 

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Twinels2
on 12/29/09 2:15 am - Morgantown , PA
I am courious about shakes too. Does anyone know ones that don't have sugar substitutes? They make me ill.
Laura71
on 12/29/09 5:37 am - Sheridan, IL
Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions. I think the sample packets will be the way to go. I go weigh in at the doctors on Jan. 4, so I will also ask the nurse. Feb. will be my last weigh in and then we can submit paperwork to the ins. company.

Thanks Again!
Laura
Randy Z.
on 12/29/09 9:22 am - Charlotte, NC
vitalady and unjury do have samples to try. My NUT gave me unjury to try and I liked it and have stuck with it.  The strawberry needs other flavoring with it, but I have not found anything I like with their strawberry.  Got a sample of their chicken soup, but never tried it. You can check the meals and menus over on the lightweight board. There some some RNYers that do protein drinks every day. They have some really good suggestions too.
HW 288 --  4/1/09 at 277.8 --  SW 268.8
Realize band 10/19/09

Betsy B
on 12/31/09 11:53 pm
My very favorite proteins are from Bariatric Eating (www.bariatriceating.com). Their Inspire line is awesome---I love the peanut butter cookie flavor, but many of the others are really good, too. They are designed to be soluble in a small volume (4 oz) of fluid or moist food such as yogurt or cottage cheese.

THE BEST and most versatile, though, is their PURE unflavored protein. This stuff is amazing. Like other Inspire proteins, it's designed to be added to a low volume of fluid or moist food, which is very pouch compatible. Unlike most proteins, though, it really does disappear, flavorwise, when added to food and liquids. I'm doing my preop diet now, and love having it in different broths; it's a nice change of pace from the sweet proteins.

Betsy
Preop--January 12, 2010
Dr. Brian Lahmann, Silver Cross Hospital, Joliet, IL
248.6/228.8/109

patti S.
on 1/1/10 12:41 am - Millsboro, DE
this is very helpful, I'd like to know where the best places to go to buy whatever I will need once I am banded....thanks Betsy!
Patti S.            
Most Active