is it possible to be banded & get no fills???

patti S.
on 12/29/09 4:46 am - Millsboro, DE
is it possible to get banded & go without fills....does anyone know if that has happened?? I assume the fills are generally done during the 1st 6 months or so........AND how often can they be done until it feels right???
Patti S.            
Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 12/29/09 5:06 am - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
I had  my surgery on Oct. 26th.  I've had 2 fills so far with a total of 5.5cc in my 11cc realized band.  After surgery the swelling in your stomach goes down, you will not have any restriction and will be able to eat somewhat like before the surgery.  Why wouldn't you want to have a fill?  The band is just a tool and has to be filled to do it's job.
Good luck with your research.  
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

patti S.
on 12/29/09 8:02 am - Millsboro, DE
thank you, I was just wondering if it ever happened to be perfect with just the initial band placement. how soon after the band placement is the 1st fill, generally a month or so? thanks for taking the time to answer questions.
Patti S.            
marilyn09
on 12/29/09 8:36 am - Enid, OK
I was banded on July 8, 2009. I received my first fill December 11, which was 1 cc. My doctor had chosen not to give me a fill because I was losing without one. I had been told by my nurse that my doctor had someone lose over 100 lbs. without a fill. So, I guess it can happen. Generally, it is 4-6 wks. after surgery for your first fill.
This lifetime will never come again, it is precious and irreplaceable. To live without regret, we must have a concrete purpose, continually setting a goal and challenge for ourselves. And we need to keep moving toward those specific targets steadily and tenaciously, one step at a time.- Daisaku Ikeda

BooLicious
on 12/29/09 11:59 pm - PA
It does happen.  I skipped my first two fills.  My surgeon said some people are more sensitive to the band but it is not the norm.  After skipping my first two I was bummed to have to get one, but then I thought this is dumb because that is how the band is made to work.  I have gotten two fills, and while I think I can eat more then I should be able too, I am losing every week and the hunger is definitely in check.  So, I feel great.

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Alisha R.
on 1/3/10 12:59 pm - Plant City, FL
THANK YOU SO MUCH

I freaked out because Im hungrier more often! I looked thur dozens of posts!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU 
Alisha
Im in the 200's YAY!!!!
Come check out my clothing exchage site 
www.weightlossclothingexchange.blogspot.com 

Tom C.
on 12/29/09 8:29 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
While it is possible, and has happen within my Doctor's practice, it's extremely rare.

Many Doctors feel to begin fills at X amount of weeks. IMHO fills should be done when your weight slows down, stops, you feel you're eating more or (OMG) you gain weight. Remember you have only X amount of fills in a band (the maximum capacity) - why waste it if you're doing well without it? Again, this is just MY OPINION.

Good luck. Hope 2010 is lighter then 2009.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Randy Z.
on 12/29/09 9:17 am - Charlotte, NC
was in for my first fill today. Nurse did say that she knows of some that have gone for their first year being banded and have not had a fill yet.  My stomach did swell for the first month or so and I probably could have gone a while with out a fill.  I did have swelling issues around the port, and the anti inflamitories also reduced the swelling in my stomach.  Next fill, she said, is up to me. If I am loosing 2 or 3 pounds a week and do not think I need one, then no reason to go in. But my doctor is different than others, they want us to space out our fills. Can not get another one for at least 6 weeks.
HW 288 --  4/1/09 at 277.8 --  SW 268.8
Realize band 10/19/09

patti S.
on 12/29/09 8:46 pm - Millsboro, DE
all of this is so helpful, I want to thank everyone for commenting, I love reading about how this is working out for everyone!
Patti S.            
nkara
on 12/29/09 11:16 pm
 I had surgery November 12th and had my first fill December 23rd... I have 4 cc's in my band and don't have an appointment for a second fill till February 26th.   
 It all depends on weight loss, restriction, etc.  But I don know from reading all the boards I'm on for WLS that you can get fills for years after band placement. Once you reach your maximum fill level in your band that is when you stop.  For example if you have an 11 cc band you can get fill up to the 11 cc's.     Everyone is different and only you and your doctor knows what is right for you.   The band is not a "one size fits all" ....  (had to go there) 
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Most Active