Overeating....

realturtlelover
on 12/26/09 8:04 am, edited 12/26/09 8:08 am - Copeville, TX
REALIZE Band on 12/18/09 with
I was banded on the 18th and I started solid foods 2 days ago. I think that I am eating more than I should be. Why is this not a little easier? I expected this to assist me in my hunger but it does not appear to be. What am I doing wrong? I need help. It is almost like I had nothing done and I am not scheduled for a fill for 4 more weeks.
Lisa  //(*_*)\\

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away" George Carlin, Author Unknown
timmi0813
on 12/26/09 9:18 am
I was banded the same day as you were.  I am not supposed to start mushy food til tomorrow.  Mostly all that is helping me now is fear of pain or sickness if I eat somehting I'm not supposed to.  Intrested in seeing the replies.
Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 12/26/09 9:45 am - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
Lisa,
Hang in there you don't have any restrictions yet.  Make sure you measure and weigh you food.  
This is what they called bandster hell that we go through before we get to the sweet spot.  I was hungry until I got my 2nd fill.  My 1st fill only helped for a few days. I got my 2nd fill last Tue. and it has help. 
Good Luck.
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

Randy Z.
on 12/26/09 6:47 pm - Charlotte, NC
One of the biggest issues that we banders have is that we want to start loosing weight right after surgery and it is not until our second or third fill that we find that sweet spot to start loosing. A friend of mine at work, was not fulling informed and it was a year after her surgery that she finally hit that sweet spot.

When it comes to foods, make sure you are geting your 8 or more glasses of water a day. I have found that when I start getting hungry, that some water will give me an extra 30 to 60 minutes before I have to eat.  Secondly and most important, make sure you are getting your 60 plus grams of protein in. After we hit the sweet spot, they say protein first, then veggies and fruit if there is still room. Reason being, is 2 fold. One it is very important to get the right protein in. Our bodies need to switch from getting energy from sugar and carbs to getting the energy from protein. It took me about  2 weeks and I increased the protein from 60 grams to about 80 to 90 grams a day. Each person is different on how much protein they need.

Secondly, protein is slower to digest in the upper pouch and you will fill fuller longer. Even without any restrictions, I find that I feel fuller longer after I have had protein. It seems with carbs, I am hungry within about a 1/2 hour of eating.

I think 6 weeks is about right for the first fill. The area needs to have time to heal before you start using the pouch. I get my first fill next week and that will be about 70 days after my surgery.  The wife has noticed that I am now eating as much as she is, compared to the 2 oz meals I used to eat after surgery. You just have to remember to chew your food really, really well cause even though you do not feel like there is restriction, there really is. I had some not so well chewed meat get stuck and it is not a nice feeling.

I know Wendy calls this time banster hell, but the last 2 months have been a good learning experience for me. I have really really reduce my portion size, I have found eating with smaller forks and plates helps me visualize the proper portions, I have had good practice when it comes to chewing my food and I am developing the habit of protein first and getting the right amounts of protein for me. And for now, I am happy with only loosing one pound a week. I try to curb my hunger with protein and not the carbs.

Good luck with your journey have patience cause it won't be long before we both get that sweet spot.
HW 288 --  4/1/09 at 277.8 --  SW 268.8
Realize band 10/19/09

Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 12/27/09 5:45 am - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
Wells said Randy,
Hi Randy, 
How was you Christmas?  I had been looking for you to post before Christmas.   I went in for me 2nd fill on Tue and it is I'm somewhat better, staying full longer.  I didn't loose any doing Christmas but don't gain either.  I have lost 28 lbs. since surgery, so I am really happy with my band.  
Wanted to wish you and your wife belayed Merry Christmas and a Blessed Healthy New Year.
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

TsTuning
on 12/26/09 9:15 pm - Upper Sandusky, OH
VSG on 12/21/09 with
I didn't get the band done, but from what I've read, don't they wait to fill it for a least a month?  So basically your stomach is the normal size for a month?  Are you drinking enough?  Remember to make it mind over matter for a little while.

Randy Z.
on 12/27/09 7:51 am - Charlotte, NC
Your stomach is the normal size, but there still is a restriction. If you chew your food to, as my health coach calls it, to applesauce consistancy, then there is no problems with food going from the upper stomach to the main stomach.  BUT if you gobble it down, like I did that day, and not chew it, then yes, it can get stuck.
HW 288 --  4/1/09 at 277.8 --  SW 268.8
Realize band 10/19/09

nkara
on 12/26/09 10:41 pm
 After surgery you should feel some restriction but not much.  The band does create a smaller stomach without the fills.   If your hungry and eating more try to eat just protein and don't go over 1 cup of food.  If you have to add protein shakes to curb your hunger.  

I had my first fill last week and it gave me restriction so we'll see. 
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

ckkallen
on 12/27/09 11:31 pm - Jacksonville, FL
BooLicious
on 12/27/09 11:27 pm - PA
I find it sad and frustrating that so many people come on here and expect to not be hungry and just start losing after band surgery.  It makes me mad that Dr's and offices don't really prepare their patients for what to expect and then patients feel like a failure the first few weeks and even months. 

Realturtlelover, this is completely normal.  You may have months till you get there, it WILL BE HARD but YOU CAN DO IT.  Keep reading and reading and get some books and get yourself informed so you can jump up and get some weight off now and then when you get restriction too.  You are normal, you did nothing wrong...this is just the process with the band and I think to be successful you have to be informed, prepared and ready to go.  It will get easier, but it's gonna be hard for a little while.  Just weigh and measure and FOLLOW THE RULES.  You CAN  do it, you REALLY REALLY can.  :D 

Hang in there and keep your chin up! 

Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Most Active